Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quantum Physics

Quantum Physics

<cfif isDefined("session.user.sense") and ('#session.user.sense#') eq '0'>
    <cfset option = delete>
    </cfif>

As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

"I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by D J 1 3 8 View Post
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

"I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

One of my pet peeves is when people say 'quantum leap' when referring to large gain... instead of it's true meaning - an infinitesimally small one.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitbootybass View Post
    One of my pet peeves is when people say 'quantum leap' when referring to large gain... instead of it's true meaning - an infinitesimally small one.

Quote Originally Posted by ngeso View Post

Last edited by D J 1 3 8; 05-04-2012 at 01:01 PM.

*Hyperventillating *
    (\_/) "Recognizeth an attention
    (O.-)whore when thou doth sees
    (___) it, and then ignoreth its ass" - SuzanneT 1:1

"Change happens when the pain of holding on becomes greater than the fear of letting go." Spencer Johnson

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music. Angela Monet

"There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't" -unknown

I almost fainted at this shit

Detroitbootybass,

At the risk of further shouldering the joke off course, the figurative use of quantum leap does not make use of gain, as you seem to imply. Rather, it always refers to the seeming lack of trace in the referent shift. More plainly, a figurative quantum leap, when used correctly, is about theoretical shifts and/or shifts in consciousness, which are made through no observable actions, but fundamentally--and, at times, catastrophically--cause huge changes. In this sense, the consequences of these shifts are always enormous; and the use of quantum leap refers to the ways in which there seemed to be no advanced indication that such a shift would occur.

This use is perfectly in line with its analogue. In physics, quantum leaps refer to the ways in which sub-atomic particles move from one point to another without passing through anything in between those two points. If we think of the "in between" as an analogue for historical events, and the two points as two ideological positions, then drastic shifts that occur without any historical catalyst act exactly as a QL does. As such, the figurative use need not refer to the infinitesimal; rather, it must only refer to shifts that seem to offer no sense of linear trace.

(My apologies in advance, ngeso.)

anyone else want to hear Lokee say some ignant shit from time to time? It's friday Loke!

Quote Originally Posted by LOKEE View Post
    Detroitbootybass,

At the risk of further shouldering the joke off course, the figurative use of quantum leap does not make use of gain, as you seem to imply. Rather, it always refers to the seeming lack of trace in the referent shift. More plainly, a figurative quantum leap, when used correctly, is about theoretical shifts and/or shifts in consciousness, which are made through no observable actions, but fundamentally--and, at times, catastrophically--cause huge changes. In this sense, the consequences of these shifts are always enormous; and the use of quantum leap refers to the ways in which there seemed to be no advanced indication that such a shift would occur.

This use is perfectly in line with its analogue. In physics, quantum leaps refer to the ways in which sub-atomic particles move from one point to another without passing through anything in between those two points. If we think of the "in between" as an analogue for historical events, and the two points as two ideological positions, then drastic shifts that occur without any historical catalyst act exactly as a QL does. As such, the figurative use need not refer to the infinitesimal; rather, it must only refer to shifts that seem to offer no sense of linear trace.

(My apologies in advance, ngeso.)

Quote Originally Posted by Armento View Post
    anyone else want to hear Lokee say some ignant shit from time to time? It's friday Loke!
    Fuck you???

Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by lokee View Post
    fuck you???
    :ola:

Quote Originally Posted by LOKEE View Post
    Fuck you???

Quote Originally Posted by d j 1 3 8 View Post
    holl-er-in!!
    Why can't I change my displayed name back to Ashaki?

Quote Originally Posted by d j 1 3 8 View Post
    what happened??
    Why can't I change my displayed name back to Ashaki?