Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Obama endorses gay marriage

Obama endorses gay marriage

Obama endorses same-sex marriage
    By Peter Wallsten, Wednesday, May 9, 9:03 PM

President Obama endorsed same-sex marriage Wednesday, capping days of frenzied speculation about his views and intensifying pressure from gay campaign donors that began with surprising comments on the issue over the weekend by Vice President Biden.

The announcement marked an apparent end to Obama’s self-described “evolution” on the issue.

“I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married,” Obama told Robin Roberts, in an ABC News interview.

Obama went on to explain that he had “hesitated” on marriage because he thought same-sex unions would be “sufficient” in order to guarantee rights for couples such as hospital visitations. And he said he wanted to be “sensitive” to the fact that for many Americans, the word “marriage” evokes “very powerful positions, religious beliefs and so forth.”

(LIVE NOW: Google+ Hangout with The Fix on the future of same-sex marriage.)

ABC will air the interview on its evening news Wednesday night and on “Good Morning America” Thursday. In a brief special this afternoon, Roberts said that Obama invoked his daughters, and conversations over dinner in which they have said that some of their friends have gay parents.

Asked if he was forced into the announcement because of Biden’s remarks over the weekend, Roberts said that Obama laughed and explained that he and his aides had been engaged in the discussion for some time.

The president has been under intense pressure for his self-described “evolving” position on the issue since Sunday, when NBC aired an interview in which Biden said he was “absolutely comfortable” with gay marriage.

Biden’s comments put Obama on the spot, exposing the president’s previous position to ridicule among gay-rights activists who saw it as a wink-and-nod stance to avoid alienating conservative swing voters as well as African Americans and Latinos key to Obama’s reelection.

The president’s challenge was evident in Tuesday’s vote in North Carolina, one of the campaign’s targeted states, where voters overwhelmingly backed a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex unions.

Obama’s campaign released a statement describing the North Carolina results as “disappointing.”

Obama’s statement was greeted by gay rights supporters as a historic milestone in the history of the movement — an unprecedented moment of validation from the country’s most important political figure.

“Today, President Obama made history by boldly stating that gay and lesbian Americans should be fully and equally part of the fabric of American society and that our families deserve nothing less than the equal respect and recognition that comes through marriage,” said Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign, a gay rights group close to the White House. The group’s incoming president, Chad Griffin, a major Obama fundraiser, added that the president’s words “will be celebrated by generations to come.”

Obama’s shift Wednesday followed days of frantic phone calls and conversations between campaign officials and leading activists and donors in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

Speculation Wednesday focused on how far Obama might be willing to go, particularly given concern among some advisers that a full embrace of same-sex marriage could help stoke conservatives and give presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney a way to consolidate support in a GOP base that remains uneasy about the former Massachusetts governor.

But the calculation has shifted since the Biden remarks put a harsher light on Obama’s efforts to navigate the issue. Suddenly, a president who hoped to portray himself as a confident and steady decision-maker — while painting Romney as a serial flip-flopper — risked looking weak and indecisive.

Obama’s shift reflects a prevailing view on his team that the political risk of alienating anti-gay marriage voters was now superceded by the danger of tainting his image as a strong leader.

His evolving views have moved in both directions over time. As a state senate candidate, he once endorsed gay marriage on a questionnaire, then as a presidential candidate he opposed gay marriage. As president, he has pursued a largely pro-gay rights agenda, repealing the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy and declining to argue in court for the Defense of Marriage Act.

“My feelings about this are constantly evolving,” he said in 2010. “I struggle with this. I have friends, I have people who work for me who are in powerful, strong, long-lasting gay or lesbian unions. And they are extraordinary people. And this is something that means a lot to them and they care deeply about.”

But gay supporters grew angry Sunday after Obama aides tried to tamp down excitement over Biden’s comments and dismiss any suggestion that the vice president’s views differed from those of the president.

At least one in six Obama bundlers are gay, according to a Washington Post count, making it hard for the president to ignore the growing frustrations.

Romney reiterated his opposition to same-sex marriage in an interview Wednesday in Fort Lupton, Colo., but declined to comment on Obama’s evolving position on gay marriage.

When reporters asked him following a campaign event in the Denver area for his views on the president and his administration’s positions on same-sex marriage, Romney would not comment other than to say, “Not on the ropeline.”

Earlier Wednesday, in an interview with local Fox affiliate KDVR-TV, Romney said he favors some rights accorded by civil unions but not marriage. Asked about a state civil unions measure failing in the Colorado state legislature on Tuesday, Romney noted that similar issues were raised in Massachusetts during his term as governor.

“I indicated my view, which is I do not favor marriage between people of the same gender, and I do not favor civil unions if they are identical to marriage other than by name,” Romney told KDVR-TV. “My view is the domestic partnership benefits, hospital visitation rights and the like are appropriate but that the others are not.”

The White House’s attempt to downplay Biden’s remarks and stand by Obama’s “evolving” position marked the second point of tension between the president and his LGBT allies in as many months.

In April, activists were outraged when Obama aides announced that the president had no plans to sign an executive order prohibiting federal contractors from discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. Officials said they wanted to focus instead on passing federal legislation, but advocates viewed the position as a dodge, given the unlikelihood that the Republican-led House would consider the measure.

The executive order announcement drew surprising rebukes from some of the White House’s closest LGBT allies, including those at the Center for American Progress and the Human Rights Campaign who have generally defended the administration’s record on gay rights.

In addition, LGBT donors began pressuring the Obama campaign and the White House to reconsider. One major Democratic giver, Jonathan Lewis, indicated that the failure to sign the order has resulted in several givers’ opting not to donate to the pro-Obama super-PAC, Priorities USA, according to The Post’s Greg Sargent.

An adviser to another major LGBT donor said Wednesday that the dual effect of the White House response to Biden’s comments and the executive order meant more donors withholding help, unless Obama shifted on one or both of those issues.

“The top 12 gay and lesbian donors in this country have all maxed out to the president, but they have not played in the super PAC world yet,” this adviser said. “And if there is the expectation that they’re going to, then there will have to be some concrete actions in fairly short order to demonstrate this administration’s desire to keep them included in this campaign.”

The dynamic — and Obama’s decision to sit for the interview Wednesday — underscored how much the president can ill afford to alienate any piece of his base in what is expected to be a tight election.

Another LGBT advocate familiar with White House and campaign deliberations said Wednesday the Biden comments spurred a renewed debate among Obama’s top policy and political advisers about what they could do to satisfy this core constituency. That conversation included marriage and the executive order.

“The conversation is, what can and should we do to quiet the uproar and to get donors back on board,” the advocate said.

Staff writer Philip Rucker contributed to this report.

Props to the Prez. Very happy to hear this.
    http://www.venganza.org/

“I shoulda known you'd be behind this, Fiendish Dr. Wu. Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrifications is only outmatched by your zest for Kung Fu treachery!" - Black Dynamite

2006 & 2012 DHP Fantasy Football Champion

nice one

Just to piss off fox viewers, POTUS should go further and endorse the right of gay republicans to marry

Smart move, and perfectly set up by Biden

I so love this man!!!
    Why can't I change my displayed name back to Ashaki?

Quote Originally Posted by Armento View Post
    Smart move, and perfectly set up by Biden
    Quote Originally Posted by Koffy Brown View Post
    I so love this man!!!
    the Love should be showered on Biden...
    I Am Almost Keeping It Real

Quote Originally Posted by liL Ray View Post
    Loving him too...Obama/Biden 2012!!
    Why can't I change my displayed name back to Ashaki?

Thank goodness! It's about damn time.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by liL Ray View Post
    I guess you're assuming Biden's comments weren't part of the overall plan... Not saying they were.

Well played Mr. President, Well Played!!
    I Don't Play For DJ'S!!

Friday Good Vibrations - Every Friday 2:30pm-4:30pm http://www.handzonradio.fm

Friday Night, Spinning @ Club 347 in Baltimore 347 N. Calvert St.

Saturday Night, Spinning @ Identity Ultra Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by AK View Post
    I guess you're assuming Biden's comments weren't part of the overall plan... Not saying they were.
    And let's not forget Arne Duncan.....JMJ
    THE DHP KING OF EDITS

JMJ - Off The Deep End - Now on DHP Radio - Friday 3pm-5pm EST - http://dhpradio.com/jmj-off-the-deep-end.html
    Facebook me: facebook.com/kingofedits
    Podomatic me: http://jmjeditking.podomatic.com/
    Soundcloud me: http://soundcloud.com/jmj-edits

2007 & 2010 Deep House Fantasy Football Champion
    2011 & 2012 back-to-back DHP Fantasy Baseball Champion

Ill say it. There is no way this wasn't choreographed.

Quote Originally Posted by Armento View Post
    Ill say it. There is no way this wasn't choreographed.
    Checkers v. Chess?

...need them gay votes. smart move,can't lose .

This really is a huge move. Not even in terms of reelection, but just the fact that this could now become the mainstream Dem. position and the cultural shift that follows.

Pat Robertson just slammed Obama on the 700 Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Dal-Tex View Post
    Pat Robertson just slammed Obama on the 700 Club.

You watch 'The 700 Club'?
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." - Stephen Hawking

Wondering about that black vote now. Somewhere is a poll suggesting overall sentiment in the community has evolved, or the black vote is now trumped by some block of gay voters. Perhaps black donors haven't the long green of gay voters. Black voters in Cali went the way of the Mormon right on Prop 8. Can't imagine an entire culture has evolved as rapidly as the President. I'd bet there's some calculated risk here.

I'm not a cynic. Just being realistic about the necessity of the P and VP offering up their personal views during an election. For now, it's a states' rights issue. They can evolve all they like. It's not bringing gay marriage any closer to fruition. What's the angle?

Obama gets zero points from me for this one. It doesnt feel genuine at all. I know the gays are ready to have a parade in his honor but i wont be marching with them on this issue.
    As I proceed to civilize the uncivilized
    Word to wisdom from the groove to the wise
    I guess im the verbalizer for the fact im moving blackwards
    This asiatic blackman is a dog spelled backwards

Brand Nubian dropping science.

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis Hyman Cherry View Post
    Obama gets zero points from me for this one. It doesnt feel genuine at all. I know the gays are ready to have a parade in his honor but i wont be marching with them on this issue.
    thats cool .... dont march ... just vote.
    F.O.N.O- The Sag Party
    Dec 3 @ The Paradox 1310 Russell Str.
    Wayne Davis and Mark Mendoza
    Hosted by Moo.

Quote Originally Posted by KBig View Post
    thats cool .... dont march ... just vote.
    I will for Romney.....

LOL. I dont agree with Obama on the way he handled this gay marriage thing. I do believe this country maybe in for a bit of trouble if Romney gets into office.
    As I proceed to civilize the uncivilized
    Word to wisdom from the groove to the wise
    I guess im the verbalizer for the fact im moving blackwards
    This asiatic blackman is a dog spelled backwards

Brand Nubian dropping science.

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis Hyman Cherry View Post
    I will for Romney.....

LOL. I dont agree with Obama on the way he handled this gay marriage thing. I do believe this country maybe in for a LOT of trouble if Romney gets into office.
    fixed, how should he have handled it? Interview with Rupaul? jes sayin...