Thread: Jail House Rock aka The 52

Jail House Rock aka The 52

I'm not sure if this style was popular in other states but in NYC in the 70's & 80's it was very common to see dudes "boxing" using this style. It's said to have originated on Riker Island Jail and mastered by "hard rocks" and "peace gods" in just about every boro of the city....some more known than others such as the infamous Rikers legend "Mother Dear".

If you have any memories of the 52 please sound off!!

Yes indeed my friends use to box like that when we were young and when he did it, it had us cracking up

Bigscore, I've seen a righteous cat from around Martin(August Martin), Lay this white racist cat out during a race riot at Francis Lewis HS in Flushing,Queens during my freshman year in 1974, My man/LOL, Bigscore, Money(The righteous cat from Queens), Gave the racist cat the, "52's", Across the jaw mad lovely with the style of 52's that Big K was demonstrating(Running up on a cat with elbows out and the style that Big C was demonstrating via the tiptoe method that had

The racist cat confused mad lovely, My man/LOL), Bigscore, I've seen cats give cats, "52's", Over a call in a game in the park that esculated into static during the 70s and all of those cats in the video clip were right when they stated that every borough had their own method and style of, "52's',(Cats who came home from Rikers used to demonstrate their version of, "52's",(Which is alot more movement than the, "Jail-house", Style of fighting that was very popular and prevelent

In New York City during the 70's and 80's too, Bigscore, One of the best cats that i've ever seen do the, "52's", Was my man FBI(Rip), From 40 projects in Jamaica,Queens and more than afew righteous cats from Brooklyn(East New York/Brownsville, Fort Green, Red hook), The South Bronx(Bronxdale Projects and soundview Projects, Patterson Projects and Bronx River Projects), and Uptown(Harlem, Wilson Projects, Manhattanvile Projects, Wagner Projects, Polo Ground

Projects, Etc) Infact, Cats like Moe(Kool Moe Dee), Mr.Troy(Disco 4 from Uptown/Harlem), Dj Breakout(Funky 4), Tony Tone(Coldcrush 4), Jus-Ice, Cowboy(Furious 5), Etc, Were all very good with their smits(hands), In regards to going round and round and 52's too, My man/LOL, Bigscore, Cats like Hector Camacho and Edwin Rosario used to give cats the 52's on the boxing circuit too(Along with Davey Moore from the Bronx/Rip)
    Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

From the streets of Brooklyn, living in the burbs of Maryland
    Yeah we used to see this all the time.
    The BK Show - Hosted by DJ Val Thursday's 8 PM www.DHPradio.com

The BK Show - Hosted by DJ Val Monday's 8 PM (Bi-Weekly) www.CyberJamz.com

http://djval-bkny11203.podOmatic.com

http://soundcloud.com/djval_bkny11203

2013 Deep House Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barnes View Post
    Bigscore, I've seen a righteous cat from around Martin(August Martin), Lay this white racist cat out during a race riot at Francis Lewis HS in Flushing,Queens during my freshman year in 1974, My man/LOL, Bigscore, Money(The righteous cat from Queens), Gave the racist cat the, "52's", Across the jaw mad lovely with the style of 52's that Big K was demonstrating(Running up on a cat with elbows out and the style that Big C was demonstrating via the tiptoe method that had

The racist cat confused mad lovely, My man/LOL), Bigscore, I've seen cats give cats, "52's", Over a call in a game in the park that esculated into static during the 70s and all of those cats in the video clip were right when they stated that every borough had their own method and style of, "52's',(Cats who came home from Rikers used to demonstrate their version of, "52's",(Which is alot more movement than the, "Jail-house", Style of fighting that was very popular and prevelent

In New York City during the 70's and 80's too, Bigscore, One of the best cats that i've ever seen do the, "52's", Was my man FBI(Rip), From 40 projects in Jamaica,Queens and more than afew righteous cats from Brooklyn(East New York/Brownsville, Fort Green, Red hook), The South Bronx(Bronxdale Projects and soundview Projects, Patterson Projects and Bronx River Projects), and Uptown(Harlem, Wilson Projects, Manhattanvile Projects, Wagner Projects, Polo Ground

Projects, Etc) Infact, Cats like Moe(Kool Moe Dee), Mr.Troy(Disco 4 from Uptown/Harlem), Dj Breakout(Funky 4), Tony Tone(Coldcrush 4), Jus-Ice, Cowboy(Furious 5), Etc, Were all very good with their smits(hands), In regards to going round and round and 52's too, My man/LOL, Bigscore, Cats like Hector Camacho and Edwin Rosario used to give cats the 52's on the boxing circuit too(Along with Davey Moore from the Bronx/Rip)
    Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

Mike....

I remember seeing a fight in the early 80's where the 52 guy went thru all his hand motions while "stutter stepping" up to the other guy....when the 52 guy got within striking distance he paused the hand movements with his finger tips at his eyebrows with his elbows pointing out...

as the other guy thru a punch the 52 guy the 52 guy crossed his hands and caught the guys punch....more like "trapped" his hands....and then proceeded to beat him down from every angle.

hahahaha

Bigscore, I would like to add that the most dangerous cat on the streets in regards to using one's smits(Hands), During the 60's and 70's, Were the cat/cats who were humble and quiet, My man(We both know this too, My man/LOL), Bigscore, The cat who popped the most shit was more than likely not good with his hands(That's why a cat had to pop shit to get cats to think that he was nice with his hands, My man/LOL), Bigscore, The quiet and humble cat never had to

Pop shit because a quiet and humble cat is not worried about nobody bringing static his way and if static did come a quiet and humble cats way(Timber/LOL), The quiet and humble cat not only layed a cat out mad lovely, Along with a quiet and humble cat being very talented in regards to the, "52's", Too, My man(Bigscore, Around the way during the 60's and 70's, A cat who came home from Rikers or upnorth was embarrassed to pop shit about Rikers and being upnorth,

Because a cat let the community down by being down with criminal cats or taking part in criminal activities, So, Coming home from Rikers and upnorth was not respected like that during the 60's and 70's and a cats relatives and friends would say that a cat was, "Downsouth", If someone in the community asked about a cat in Rikers and especially upnorth during the 60's and 70's, Though, A cat who came home from Rikers and upnorth would build with younger cats in the

Community to not get caught out there like that pertaining to criminal activity because being in Rikers and especially going, "Upnorth", Was not the move during the 60's and 70's, My man, Bigscore, The, "52's", Was mentioned alot during the late 60's/early 70's around the way(Southside/Jamaica,Queens), Though, Only the ferocious criminal cats built on the, "52's", On the low to the younger cats in the community in regards to a younger cat protecting himself from potential

Static(Exhibit A:Cats were takin cats off mad lovely during the early to mid 70's without steel(Pistols), So, A cat had the opportunity to defend himself via knowing how to use his smits(Hands), And the, "52's", Was alot more better in defending one's self versus 1 or 2 and if a cat is truely nice with his via the, "52's", 3 cats at the sametime, Opposing to the, "Jailhouse", Style of fighting which was more hand movement, But, Less body movement that you see with the, "52

's", My man, Bigscore, I've seen a cat dis-mantle another cat using the 52's, and the other cat pulled out a knife and got, "Bodied", Mad lovely at 40 park right acorss the street from 40 projects during the early 70's and the cat who pulled out the knife was a Crown(7 crowns), So you know money went back(7 crowns cat), and souped ths story up to his crew(7 crowns),Like he was jumped by mad cats, When 1 cat did the, "Bodying', My man/LOL, Bigscore, The beginning

Period of the 80's(Early 80's), Was the start of the pulling out steel movement, Compared to going round and round movement in regards to static in New York City and the, "52's", Was a very big reason why non-talented cats who could not fight, Started pulling out steel rather than going head up with a cat in regards to static, My man/LOL.

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes
    Last edited by Mike Barnes; 07-25-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Compared to going round and round movement in regards to static in New York City and the, "52's", Was a very big reason why non-talented cats who could not fight, Started pulling out steel rather than going head up with a cat in regards to static, My man/LOL.
    So true Mike B, some of my high school friends use to carry those big 007 knives in their pockets going to school and this was in the late 70's

Pete, I build about stickup kids alot for the past 13 years on this board, Though, Alot of stickup kids could not fight during the 60's,70's,80's, Etc, In New York City, My man/LOL, Pete, Mad criminal cats we're not good with their hands during the 70's and 80's in New York City, That's why cats got down with gangs(Who i had a distain for during the 70's, My man/LOL), Pete, True cats who were nice with their hands ran alone or with cats who were mad quiet and into some kind of

Recreational activity(Exhibit A:Basketball, Baseball, Football,Track and Field, Etc), Infact, I knew a cat who was down with the debate team at Francis Lewis HS in Queens, Who layed a cat out for trying him in the locker-room after gym class at Francis Lewis during the mid 70's(Money studied martial arts, Though, Money had more than a few, "52 moves", In his dossier of hand techniques with his and my man, "4-pieced", This cat poppin nonsense about takin my man's bus pass

And making my man walk home from Flushing,Queens to Hollis,Queens, Which is about an 1 and a half bus ride, So, Money walking home would have takin 5 to 6 hours, So, With motivation like that/LOL, Money demo'd this cat up mad lovely with his hands and spit in this cats fronts just to clarify his position/LOL, And this

Was coming from a milk and cookies type of cat with his(Though, Not soft or weak, Just humble and quiet and cats take that shit the wrong way, My man/LOL), That was pushed by a cat poppin shit and not good with his hands in regards to going round and round, My man/LOL.

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barnes View Post
    Pete, I build about stickup kids alot for the past 13 years on this board, Though, Alot of stickup kids could not fight during the 60's,70's,80's, Etc, In New York City, My man/LOL, Pete, Mad criminal cats we're not good with their hands during the 70's and 80's in New York City, That's why cats got down with gangs(Who i had a distain for during the 70's, My man/LOL), Pete, True cats who were nice with their hands ran alone or with cats who were mad quiet and into some kind of

Recreational activity(Exhibit A:Basketball, Baseball, Football,Track and Field, Etc), Infact, I knew a cat who was down with the debate team at Francis Lewis HS in Queens, Who layed a cat out for trying him in the locker-room after gym class at Francis Lewis during the mid 70's(Money studied martial arts, Though, Money had more than a few, "52 moves", In his dossier of hand techniques with his and my man, "4-pieced", This cat poppin nonsense about takin my man's bus pass

And making my man walk home from Flushing,Queens to Hollis,Queens, Which is about an 1 and a half bus ride, So, Money walking home would have takin 5 to 6 hours, So, With motivation like that/LOL, Money demo'd this cat up mad lovely with his hands and spit in this cats fronts just to clarify his position/LOL, And this

Was coming from a milk and cookies type of cat with his(Though, Not soft or weak, Just humble and quiet and cats take that shit the wrong way, My man/LOL), That was pushed by a cat poppin shit and not good with his hands in regards to going round and round, My man/LOL.

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

Very true Mike!!!