Thread: American prisoners of war on tv

Montreal-Canada via The Hague, Netherlands

Did anyone see this? The footage has been banned from most american tv channels, did any show them at all? Just watching it last night here on BBC, you basically see 4 POWs, interviewed seperately, 3 men and one woman, each looking terrified. Iraqi officials say they will respect the rights of POWs under the Geneva conventions. USA hasn't made a similar declaration yet re: the prisoners they're holding.

On another tip, there has been a queer story about NBC this week-end. They have been kicked out of Iraq and depend solely on reporters from other countries. I heard, and maybe someone can confirm this, that over the week-end, NBC was getting news via a british reporter. They had him live on tv and the news anchor was asking the reporter about the bombings, whether they were discriminate or not. The reporter right away replied that they bombings were totally indiscriminate and as he was saying this, NBC cut the connection with the reporter! Anyone see this?
    You don't even like this song
    You just dig the hook
    You freaky Muth* f*cka

yes i deed see the footage on Dutch television...the journalist situated in the US explained that only small fragments of it where shown in the US, to not anger/scare the US population...... i can understand this although at the same time the US gouvernment said that it was illegal to show POW's on television, and i recall the images and footage of US military making POW's and recently the pictures of that high taliban-officer that was captured and didn't look to happy..again it seems like using 2 different sets of rules

Olaf
    they used to laugh at me
    but i saw the future

right! they were showing footage of Iraqi POWs all day friday!
    You just dig the hook
    You freaky Muth* f*cka

Originally posted by O'love:
    yes i deed see the footage on Dutch television...the journalist situated in the US explained that only small fragments of it where shown in the US, to not anger/scare the US population...... i can understand this although at the same time the US gouvernment said that it was illegal to show POW's on television, and i recall the images and footage of US military making POW's and recently the pictures of that high taliban-officer that was captured and didn't look to happy..again it seems like using 2 different sets of rules

Olaf
    POWs under the Geneva conventions: this applies only to POW from a regular Army...Talibans are not a regular army, as far as I know, so this is not "using 2 different sets of rules"

AC
    ------------------------------------
    SoundCloud: http://soundcloud.com/ac-a-k-a-ac
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1000932443

Originally posted by AC:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by O'love:

Olaf
    POWs under the Geneva conventions: this applies only to POW from a regular Army...Talibans are not a regular army, as far as I know, so this is not "using 2 different sets of rules"

AC
    </font>[/QUOTE]AC, I think he's talking about the Iraqi surrendering soldiers that the US is holding at the present time.

As for the Taliban not being a "regular army", you cannot leave a man in a black hole, either they are civilians, either they are soldiers. The Geneva Conventions don't define what the US Admin has defined as "unlawful combattant". Either they are combattans or they're not. If they are not under the formal State army, but they are somehow connected to it, funded by it, controlled by it effectively, then the State will be responsible for their act. But they remain combattants. And regarding the status of the Taliban government, the fact that they were not recognized by the vast majority of the international community does not change the fact that, de facto, they were in command and controlling the country, thus being responsible for acts of the State. Whether their troops were organized as an army the way we know it or not need not to matter.
    You just dig the hook
    You freaky Muth* f*cka

yes i was talking about the iraqi POW's....

btw, the most shocking picture i did see to date where 2 dead iraqi soldiers still holding a white surrender-flag....... i guess shrapnell from a bomb-attack killed them or something..... not a pretty sight..
    they used to laugh at me
    but i saw the future

It's called 'parading' and it is against the Geneva Convention on POW's captured - However, both sides have paraded their human trophies in these terms.

CNN has showed Iraqi's being captured and being searched, the only reason the Iraqi's have not been paraded is because they don't speak English.

Anyone remember the fighter pilots that got shot down last time in the Gulf War, saying, it was great in Iraqi and the people were really friendly?

This is no different in my book to CNN's Operation Righteous Justice 24 hr webcam on the end of the M16 coverage!

In fact CNN's coverage is sicker, looking for road kill with their night-vision cameras, sick bastards if you ask me, dead US and Iraqis interspersed with adverts for Budweiser and Club Med - and they're the animals !?!?!
    <a href=\"http://www.funkjunk.notlong.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.funkjunk.notlong.com</a>

iraqi prisoners were showned lined up and held by US solders over the weekend on cnn...

Originally posted by DJ76:
    As for the Taliban not being a "regular army", you cannot leave a man in a black hole, either they are civilians, either they are soldiers. The Geneva Conventions don't define what the US Admin has defined as "unlawful combattant".
    Plus, the U.S. representatives were always stating that they are in a WAR against the Taliban. treating Talibans as "unlawful combattants" makes even less sense then.
    constantin
    constantin<br />radio-mixes at <a href=\"http://www.globalhouseconnection.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.globalhouseconnection.com</a>

Originally posted by O'love:
    yes i was talking about the iraqi POW's....

btw, the most shocking picture i did see to date where 2 dead iraqi soldiers still holding a white surrender-flag....... i guess shrapnell from a bomb-attack killed them or something..... not a pretty sight..

Originally posted by Mathius:

Anyone remember the fighter pilots that got shot down last time in the Gulf War, saying, it was great in Iraqi and the people were really friendly?
    Would these be the same two pilots who were tortured while in Iraqi custody? Would you speak any differently after torture and constant threat of death?
    No animals were harmed during the production of this message.

Hear some of my mixes at http://www.house-mixes.com/profile/Ken1015

http://www.facebook.com/Ken1015

To this day, Jeffrey Zaun has regretted his comments when he was held captive by the Iraqis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2880119.stm

i think it's clear that pilots are trained to cooperate with their interagators..it's survival tactiques.....under pressure/force just cooperate as much as possible..this is the reason most military missions get as minimal info as possible....

about the POW's i saw on television: for me it was clear these people probably never got a training, like the special forces and pilots receive, to cope with interrogations etc..... a worrying sight...

Olaf
    they used to laugh at me
    but i saw the future

i seen the footage this past sunday morning... the anchor was soooo damn geeked to get the footage they threw it up on the tube, before reviewing the tapes, while ashcroft was there being interviewed. they showed 2 of the soldiers before pulling it off. one of the soldiers stated his name. (tsk... tsk - will the producer get reamed? stay tuned folks...)

later when they showed the footage again, they cited the geneva rules and blurred the faces and took out the sound.
    ::: everything in it's right place :::