Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black junior scholastics ( HAHAHAHAHA, funny)

I'll preface by stating that as a pharma/biotech rep i'm all over NYC

I have an appalling observation from these first days of the new school year - BLACK STUDENTS ARE CUTTING SCHOOL IN ASTONISHING NUMBERS...everywhere i am riding in the city i am seeing large numbers of our kids roaming the streets during school hours ( mostly kids of JHS and HS ages) And this phenomena isn't just confined to areas considered "ghetto". In contrast I havent seen as many white or asian kids ditching classes and roaming the streets.

Couple this with the fact that over half of the kids who were supposed to take summer school classes in order t move to the next grade didn't bother to show up this year you get a disturbing picture of black underacheivement. WHERE ARE THE PARENTS? WHERE IS THE WILL TO SUCCEED?

While there are black students who are scholars and who are striving, it seems to me that the black community places far to little value on educational acheivement and spends far too much time worrying about nonsense ( Pimp Juice) No wonder our kids are falling behind.

p.s....i would hate to have to shoot one of these cats who get the idea of daytime home burglary...which is where truancy and poverty leads - crime
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

Face it Mark you have a whole generation of parents that don't give a damn for one reason or another. I have no idea how this happened. I came from a family that valued education, as did the people I grew up around, as well as the people I surround my self with now.
    But hey as you said they have pimp juice... [img]graemlins/jpshakehead.gif[/img]
    It ain't how much you know, it's what you do with what you do know!

WHERE ARE THE PARENTS? WHERE IS THE WILL TO
    SUCCEED?

I think your second question is key. In my area the dropout rate is farely high. But I think the your point of view in New York differs drastically from mine here in Rural Georgia. There are many opportunities and simply put, THINGS TO DO, in New York, Jersey, and Philly to keep these kids busy. Part time jobs, after school programs, places for kids to stay out of trouble.

What do we have down here, miles and miles of wilderness, farms, abandoned trailers, part time jobs for a select few, factories, and back breaking hard labor.

Scared Straight only goes so far. Take some of those kids from up north and bring them down here for a week and see how they react.

And it really doesn't help when the school curricullum is piss poor IMO and it doesn't prepare alot of kids for their next level of Higher Education. Georgia Southern is the big University in this area and it's ashame that these kids are not prepared for the workload given to them for the first year.

Writing a 30 page essay in the 10th grade is not an easy task but when the teachers complain that it's "TOO HARD for them", that's not a good thing, especially when they have to write 50 page essays in College.

The Will to succeed is something that must be taught early in a childs life.

Work to live, don't live to work.

Peace

[ September 10, 2003, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: GROOVE VICTIM ]

I'm in the same profession as Mark and drive around everywhere in this city and see this same bullshit....it's disturbing and pathetic....I don't see it in Richmond Hill(east Asian), in Belle Harbor/Arverne(white), Midwood(white/Russian, Chinese), Howard Beach(white) neighborhoods as much....but when I go into Far Rockaway, East New York, Bushwick(the worse), Brownsville(not as bad as in days gone by), Canarsie(now black), and Flatbush (let's not even bring that up), it's like a f'ing school holiday in those areas....WTF is going on???!!!!

I know Mark will probably get raked over the coals for this topic(because he is MAGUS), but if you drive around this city in the daytime during school hours, you'll see he is right.

....liL Ray
    I Am Almost Keeping It Real

Kids need to fear death at the hands of the parent in order to obey guidance. They also need parents with a vision and understanding. Kids need to visit Rykers and Sing Sing to see that Jail is much different than a Snoop Dogg video. Kids also need to be given a chance to experience money management (with bills and credit etc. etc).

Kids need to understand that there are people named Pierpont and Wentworth who sip drinks, play tennis or golf and monitor their earnings all day who need people in poverty to make their money grow. These people are manufacturers, creditors and retailers.

WAKE UP!

Originally posted by liL Ray:
    I'm in the same profession as Mark and drive around everywhere in this city and see this same bullshit....it's disturbing and pathetic....I don't see it in Richmond Hill(east Asian), in Belle Harbor/Arverne(white), Midwood(white/Russian, Chinese), Howard Beach(white) neighborhoods as much....but when I go into Far Rockaway, East New York, Bushwick(the worse), Brownsville(not as bad as in days gone by), Canarsie(now black), and Flatbush (let's not even bring that up), it's like a f'ing school holiday in those areas....WTF is going on???!!!!

I know Mark will probably get raked over the coals for this topic(because he is MAGUS), but if you drive around this city in the daytime during school hours, you'll see he is right.

....liL Ray
    Ray...i've been an outside rep for over 10 years and every year its the same thing...it really makes me want to cry because it seems that, en masse, there is no hope for the black man in america cause on the whole we aint shit - we can't control our kids and instill greatness in them then our foul seed will grow poorly
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

Why should you bother go to school... You have mommy and daddy who give you everything.. And kids think everything is ok.. Why should they good to school? Why have the need to succeed??

Kids need to see and feel the struggle.. They have everything handed to them nowadays... No matter what the home income.. Parents cant barely pay rent but their kids are rocking $150 sneakers... They get all the new video games... They don't even question HOW their parents are doing it.. And take all for granted...

I know I would go to school and do my best so that I didn't have to struggle as much as my mom has.. I also knew the last thing my mom needed was not to be able to go to work because I was cutting class and she need to go to school. She was just getting by as it was.

I honestly think most of these kids don't know what is the reality of thier situation.... [img]graemlins/conf44.gif[/img]

Originally posted by MYOR:
    Why should you bother go to school... You have mommy and daddy who give you everything.. And kids think everything is ok.. Why should they good to school? Why have the need to succeed??

Kids need to see and feel the struggle.. They have everything handed to them nowadays... No matter what the home income.. Parents cant barely pay rent but their kids are rocking $150 sneakers... They get all the new video games... They don't even question HOW their parents are doing it.. And take all for granted...

I know I would go to school and do my best so that I didn't have to struggle as much as my mom has.. I also knew the last thing my mom needed was not to be able to go to work because I was cutting class and she need to go to school. She was just getting by as it was.

I honestly think most of these kids don't know what is the reality of thier situation.... [img]graemlins/conf44.gif[/img]
    the main problem is that these kids are mostly fom the ghetto or two income woking parents who have to struggle...they don't get everything handed to them...and it seems they accept failure

Another confusing thought.

What are the biggest/largest problems of the African, Latin and Carribean American communities?

There are many, and school does not teach the youth how to fix any of them.

NOt saying F*ck school...just saying I can understand why some intelligent yet unmotivated people may not want anything to do with it.

Originally posted by St Magus the Reviled:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MYOR:

the main problem is that these kids are mostly fom the ghetto or two income woking parents who have to struggle...they don't get everything handed to them...and it seems they accept failure </font>[/QUOTE]I don't know Magus... I see parents do this all the fricking time and it annoys the hell out of me.... They are freaking broke as hell and if there kid wants a $200 pair of sneakers or $100 pair of jeans.. They go out and buy it for them..

I see it as they think everything is gonna be handed to them..

Originally posted by 1343:
    Another confusing thought.

What are the biggest/largest problems of the African, Latin and Carribean American communities?

There are many, and school does not teach the youth how to fix any of them.

NOt saying F*ck school...just saying I can understand why some intelligent yet unmotivated people may not want anything to do with it.
    This is where we diverge as I think knowledge solves all problems...what we seem to lack is discipline and the stomach for present sacrifice to attain future growth

[quote]Originally posted by MYOR:
    They are freaking broke as hell and if there kid wants a $200 pair of sneakers or $100 pair of jeans.. They go out and buy it for them..

I know some where the mortgage isn't paid for 2 months but the kids have the best and newest of new outfits on...our priorities are certainly ****ed up...

[ September 10, 2003, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: liL Ray ]

Originally posted by MYOR:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by St Magus the Reviled:

the main problem is that these kids are mostly fom the ghetto or two income woking parents who have to struggle...they don't get everything handed to them...and it seems they accept failure </font>[/QUOTE]I don't know Magus... I see parents do this all the fricking time and it annoys the hell out of me.... They are freaking broke as hell and if there kid wants a $200 pair of sneakers or $100 pair of jeans.. They go out and buy it for them..

</font>[/QUOTE]I do see your point...however what are they actually having handed to them? A. disposable consumer products....getting things handed to you means businesses, stocks, bonds, real estate, education etc....what we think we are "handing" to our kids is just monopoly money while other ethnic groups are talking real assets

They are freaking broke as hell and if there kid wants a $200 pair of sneakers or $100 pair of jeans.. They go out and buy it for them..

I know some where the mortgage isn't paid for 2 months but the kids have the best and newest of new outfits on...our priorities are certainly ****ed up...
    </font>
    I have a friend who recently asked to borrow a C Note & now is somehow purchasing (or however) a BMW 5 series .
    The bank is closed for him!

would you guys consider stopping at an opportune moment and ask these cats some questions about why they are not in school?

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by St Magus the Reviled:

</font>[/QUOTE]I do see your point...however what are they actually having handed to them? A. disposable consumer products....getting things handed to you means businesses, stocks, bonds, real estate, education etc....what we think we are "handing" to our kids is just monopoly money while other ethnic groups are talking real assets
    </font>[/QUOTE]Preach....at Christmas, birthdays, we give our children, niece, nephews, games, shoes and other crap that is outdated in 6months, meanwhile I have friends on the "other side" who give there kids stocks, bonds, gold, etc. at these events.

...when will we change?

</font>[/QUOTE]I do see your point...however what are they actually having handed to them? A. disposable consumer products.... getting things handed to you means businesses, stocks, bonds, real estate, education etc.... what we think we are "handing" to our kids is just monopoly money while other ethnic groups are talking real assets
    </font>[/QUOTE]You and I know this.. But kids don't.

QUOTE]Preach....at Christmas, birthdays, we give our children, niece, nephews, games, shoes and other crap that is outdated in 6months, meanwhile I have friends on the "other side" who give there kids stocks, bonds, gold, etc. at these events.

...when will we change?
    Exactly we put too much value on the wrong things..

</font>
    i shop at old navy for the kids..cheap and good but basically cheap...they don't get designer anything...what do they care?...i can spend the money i save on their savings, piano lessons, kung fu school etc

the day i drape my kiddies in designer wear you can slap me right here!

cats livin in the ghetto yet drivin beemers and rockin fendi ( along with their kids) is why their progenty stays in the ghetto...that shit ain't cute it just marks you as an asshole...i spend a lot of time with wealthy whites and their young kids don't do this

Originally posted by mhd:
    would you guys consider stopping at an opportune moment and ask these cats some questions about why they are not in school?
    why not?...i'll do this over the next week and get back to you

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mhd:
    why not?...i'll do this over the next week and get back to you </font>[/QUOTE]cool, be safe

straight up though...this situation makes me wanna hang my head and cry

on a related my story

Stuyvesant HS school alumnus who underacheived and even though I am laughingly considered successful i could have been so much more (" i coulda been a contender, but now i am a bum" - m brando) when i talk to kids i tell them my story of truancy and drug abuse and failure..and try to relay to them that no matter how far you fall you can always get your act together and finish school and although you may have ****ed yourself out of Harvard ( remember i said Stuyvesant) a college degree is a good thing

my feminine bitch side relates to empower..now **** all y'all

That fact that you're discussing this with us is more than an indication that you care.

When I think back to around '95 when I was working as a security guard, 20 years old, not in college, just making money, Music on the brain, but no direction. I recall working around a construction area where they wre retrofitting a bridge for trains to cross, and this one brother came up to me and introduced himself. He asked if I was in college, I said no. He asked if I planned on attenting, I said in the near future, but I'm sure he heard that one before. Then he kinda told me he life story in a couple of MHD type short sentences. He had the skills, the education but the obstacle of becoming a father at an early age forced him to take a set back in his drive for success. And everytime I saw this cat, he would stress to me, "Boy, you need to get your education, it makes no sense for you to be out here 2 in the morning watching a railroad track." That was one of my wake up calls.

When I look back and see how far I've come, and I know I have the potential to go farther, I thank cats like him and those teachers back in Highschool who tried their hardest to keep me motivated to get my work done.

There are still people with those values out there and are willing to pass them along to a younger generation, but it seems to me that if you're not in the right environment, or at the right place at the right time, these mentors are rarely seen.

Peace

What I want to know is why kids are not involved in activities? Granted I understand that schools are underfunded but many of these kids have no motivation to participate in anything extracirricular, which may enhance their desire to stay in shcool - maybe I am out of touch, but I played on team sports (remember I grew up in the white middle class suburbs - so it was cool for girls and guys to play sports)from at least 3rd grade and tried or competed in everything from tennis, track and field, softball, basketball, dance class, art classes, piano lessons, flute lessons, etc at one point or another until I was senior in high school. As far as college was concerned that was an unspoken RULE in my household, especially since since we were damn near babies if it wasn't Mom it was Dad packing us in the car and driving down some weekend in October and going to Homecoming. In other words it was DRILLED in from the get - why are parents not doing this regardless of whether they went or not - don't you want beter for your kids???!!!
    It ain't how much you know, it's what you do with what you do know!

straight up though...this situation makes me wanna hang my head and cry

on a related my story

Stuyvesant HS school alumnus who underacheived and even though I am laughingly considered successful i could have been so much more (" i coulda been a contender, but now i am a bum" - m brando) when i talk to kids i tell them my story of truancy and drug abuse and failure..and try to relay to them that no matter how far you fall you can always get your act together and finish school and although you may have ****ed yourself out of Harvard ( remember i said Stuyvesant) a college degree is a good thing

my feminine bitch side relates to empower..now **** all y'all
    i shouldnt write alumnus as i dropped out with 2 classes remaining ( calculus 1 and 2) - that shows what a complete asshole i was ( some will say still am)

the irony..i had to take calculus eventually for my BS