Anyone seen "How High?"
    "Don't make me break out the baby powder"

Heh...you have to see it to get it.
    [img]smile.gif[/img]
    [img]graemlins/grinyes.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Mathius:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by konbit:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Myron:
    Does anyone knows the origins of this practice?

Myron
    I'm pretty sure they used it in the Northern Soul scene in the UK in the '60s...but that probably doesn't connect to the NYC house scene...</font>[/QUOTE]More like the 70's but baby powder (Brut was the talc of choice - so the hall would smell like Kevin Keagan's bathroom..), flat soled leather shoes (spat's, bowling shoes, etc.), lots of amphetamine (to keep up to the beat all night), a pint of Double Diamond to wash it down with...

All you had was your reputation and your kicks..
    </font>[/QUOTE]I would guess that the tradition dates back further than the 70s, but Northern Soul dancers definately popularised it. Although Brut did the trick, I always found baby powder to give far more glide!

Ah, the memories. Oxford brogues, a few grams and white trouser legs up to your knees.

Originally posted by al boogie:
    it's not for glide...it's to protect your knees. the pounding on the floor can give your knees a good shock. i don't need powder to give me better moves, but at the end of the night (6 hours of dancing some times) the powder prevents my knees from getting REAL sore... and i learned this tactic from the heads that came before me on the NYC scene...
    I always thought it was a little of both. Reduced friction both gives one more glide and reduces effort and thus tension at the knee and hip. When I was younger, I accomplished this more with a pair of Doc Martin's worn bare on the bottom--very slick surface. More recently my dancing shoe of choice has been a Nike Humara, worn slick, but not slick enough, thus the need for powder.
    \"If I can\'t dance, I don\'t want to be a part of your revolution.\"-Emma Goldman

Originally posted by Al Kent:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mathius:

Myron
    I'm pretty sure they used it in the Northern Soul scene in the UK in the '60s...but that probably doesn't connect to the NYC house scene...</font>[/QUOTE]More like the 70's but baby powder (Brut was the talc of choice - so the hall would smell like Kevin Keagan's bathroom..), flat soled leather shoes (spat's, bowling shoes, etc.), lots of amphetamine (to keep up to the beat all night), a pint of Double Diamond to wash it down with...

</font>[/QUOTE]I would guess that the tradition dates back further than the 70s, but Northern Soul dancers definately popularised it. Although Brut did the trick, I always found baby powder to give far more glide!

Ah, the memories. Oxford brogues, a few grams and white trouser legs up to your knees.
    </font>[/QUOTE]How old are you Al ? :D

Originally posted by Touchable Tone:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ashaki:
    I saw this at a club in Atlanta...needless to say I also saw a dude come out of the back with a first aid kit........I was like what da hell...
    I was just about to go there Ashaki, was it Club Kya on Peachtree (front room). Me and my girl FELL OUT when we saw the big white squeeze bottle go flying through the air (the house heads were sharing it)</font>[/QUOTE]That's exactly where it was at...The baby powder through me for a loop but the first aid kit...cracked me the hell up...I'm sure we've danced together there...what happened, heard they closed Kaya down..where do you go now?

peace
    Why can't I change my displayed name back to Ashaki?

Well, I hear all of y'all on the baby powder.

But, again as a old school Chicago club kid... we used to rip it on carpet in the Bismarck ballroom as Lil' Louis freak'n took it to the hills.

Hell, from 1987-1990... I didn't know anyone who couldn't hold their leg to their ear while spinning around on the other leg ON CARPET NO DOUBT. No baby powder needed.

Or the kids at Sauer's ripping in on that weird wood floor, air nikes and all... doing splits, back flips and slam dancing. No baby powder needed.

However, I have seen the smooth cats at Shelter, throw their powder down and dance like Gary Cooper... and well, I can appreciate that too!

Baby Powder is for sweaty nutz

Erob

baby powder + sweaty nutz = funky fresh...lol
    Why can't I change my displayed name back to Ashaki?

Originally posted by DJ Efabulous:
    Well, I hear all of y'all on the baby powder.

But, again as a old school Chicago club kid... we used to rip it on carpet in the Bismarck ballroom as Lil' Louis freak'n took it to the hills.

Hell, from 1987-1990... I didn't know anyone who couldn't hold their leg to their ear while spinning around on the other leg ON CARPET NO DOUBT. No baby powder needed.

Or the kids at Sauer's ripping in on that weird wood floor, air nikes and all... doing splits, back flips and slam dancing. No baby powder needed.

However, I have seen the smooth cats at Shelter, throw their powder down and dance like Gary Cooper... and well, I can appreciate that too!
    Amen.
    http://www.nubangclan.com
    http://www.myspace.com/warriornbc

Your sins are the only interesting thing about you dreary bleak muthaf***s - Doug Stanhope

Originally posted by Martin Red:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Al Kent:

Myron

</font>[/QUOTE]I'm actually not that old. I started going to allnighters when I was underage in the early '80s.

i'm with lil ray on this one....

you're doing your job if someone breaks out the powder.....

it is wack however when someone hands you a bottle that's empty...LOL
    DJ Rated M live in the mix every Wednesday
    6-8 pm est
    11 pm - 1 am gmt

http://67.225.205.170/Essential/radio.html

Originally posted by Al Kent:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Martin Red:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Al Kent:

Myron

</font>[/QUOTE]I'm actually not that old. I started going to allnighters when I was underage in the early '80s.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I had a friend that used to go and return with some odd stories, like people jacking up whisky ?

Is that bollocks or not mate ? ;)

Originally posted by DJ Efabulous:
    There should be more women like this, legs to the ear and all that spinning ! ! the world would be a better place in general [img]smokin.gif[/img]

Did you get teh PM from this morning ?

Yep... Martin... got your PM and I PM-ed you back. LOL!

Originally posted by lola desire:
    i was wondering about this. when i was at ray hands' jamboree afterset in bklyn, i seen some folks putting baby powder on the floor.... i have never seen this practice before. all i could think of was someone slipping and busting a crucial body part. i, personally stayed far away from that spot.

i was wondering what is the purpose of baby powder on the dance floor? could someone explain?
    hehe,it's funy,i never heard to this momment about that-i will propose that idea to my friends /i just scare myself - some people may will start to creep)/
    \"more of everything for everybody\"

Originally posted by Martin Red:
    I had a friend that used to go and return with some odd stories, like people jacking up whisky ?

Is that bollocks or not mate ? ;)
    Um, never heard of that one! But I have known people who were diehard and had gone to niters for years that would inject speed! They'd taken so much over the years that they'd obviously built up a tolerance and had to hit up to get a buzz. I'm glad to say I never went that far!

Janitors at Hampton Uiversity would spread loads of sand on the dancefloor at parties in the old student union to keep folk from slipping and falling due to moisture....our old student union was a sweatbox.... Leslie where you at?? lol!!

julian kelly

Originally posted by mhd:
    I always thought of Sandman's sand as more for sound effect, but there is no denying the impact on the friction co-effecient, peace, mark

It's hard to believe that alot of heads here on the DHP haven't experienced the baby powder thing yet. I thought that was old school / new school essential.

I just know that for the serious dancers' - spread some of that powder on the floor and you are pop, dip and spinnin'

"dance wax!!"

tell em' Lil' Ray

Originally posted by Raven Fox:

It's hard to believe that alot of heads here on the DHP haven't experienced the baby powder thing yet. I thought that was old school / new school essential.

I just know that for the serious dancers' - spread some of that powder on the floor and you are pop, dip and spinnin'

"dance wax!!"

tell em' Lil' Ray
    Baby powder is not essential... fa' sho... ask anyone from Chi-town. All you really need is a good dj, some soul and the ability to float in your mind, while you move your feet. [img]graemlins/remybussi.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Raven Fox:

"dance wax!!"

tell em' Lil' Ray
    I love it. I never saw that until I went to the East Coast a year or so ago. Kinda regional. But, so does cats in Chi slamdancing to tracks in the 80s/90s.
    "I'm so tired of you black people walking round looking evil like that's gonna change something."
    -Dick Gregory.

Originally posted by Silhouette:
    I love it. I never saw that until I went to the East Coast a year or so ago. Kinda regional. But, so does cats in Chi slamdancing to tracks in the 80s/90s.
    I LOVE SLAM-DANCING TO HOUSE MUSIC! [img]graemlins/remybussi.gif[/img]

Say Myron, In reference to your question about the creators of the 'Spreading Baby Powder on the Dance floor' thing, I feel Shalewa is correct with her answer about Philadelphia being the creators of the 'Baby Powder thing', I once met some cats from Philadelphia in the late 80's who mentioned that it(Spreading Baby Powder on the floor)started at a spot called the Catacombs(David Todd mixing)in Philadelphia in the mid 70's, now i know there are some cats/ladies who go way back to the days of the Continental Baths and Loft Days in the early 70's in New York, who may want to add on to the information(That Spreading Baby Powder started in Phildelphia)feel free to do so(LOL).
    Later
    Mike Barnes

The worse is when you spray your baby powder on the floor, turn around to put it in your bag, and when you turn around, every mutherf'er in the club is in the space where you put the powder(usually the Jersey heads....just jokes)....your space, your powder!....that's what you get for being stingy with the powder....or bring your own damn powder.....hahaha

...and EFab, at some parties, the baby powder is essential....try it, you'll convert too.

Wow, some things we really take for granted here in NYC.
    I Am Almost Keeping It Real

When I use to dj in North Carolina in 91,92, The NY heads especially my boy Mike Smith busted out the Baby Powder. I forgot about the powder until was in the ATL and checked Kemit out at Kaya also, and they busted the baby powder. I had a flashback, of The club I use to spin at when I saw it.

not everyone understands house music...

(baby powder is officially included)

:D
    raven