Thread: pc vs. mac....does it really matter?

i ask this question b/c there are pc's that have more than enough specs to run certain programs but i always hear people talk of getting mac ( prefrebly g4 ). i wold love to see some feedback on the subject as i am trying to make a decision as to what is best.
    jihad muhammad

Either one will work just fine. There was a time when all the best music and audio software was on the mac, but now there are many more choices for Windows.

I recently switched from Windows to a Mac Powerbook and it is my favorite computer by far out of all the many computers I have owned or used for work, but this is for different reasons besides music production.

[ January 25, 2004, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: GrantB ]

I work essentialy on a mac for these reasons :
    - Mac has only one button on the mouse so it's simple,
    - I know how to fix any problem on a mac when windows often makes me suffer from headaches,
    - The screen is always brighter than a common PC one,
    - Mac Os X is THE SHIT !(supports anything, boots in 20 secs, never fails, multiple choices for a particular envy, fully modelable environment...)
    - The oppportunity to work on Os X and Os 9 is good when you have old and new software,
    - I found the Mac more intuitive than PCs (absolutly personnal remark).
    - Sound card already in the machine,
    - Can be full of crap programs, files, and still work well
    - No viruses found in 12 years of use (and 6 of internet connexion)

But PC must rock too, I just don't know them as well.

Both system are are more than sufficient it just boils down to what system you are more comfortable with. I have used both systems and i stuck with pc. but if you do go pc make sure you use XPos its very very stable

use win2K

ive seen XP destroy and entire HDD of studio work.
    I don\'t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that\'s how it comes out.....

thanks for all the input. i just purchased a G4 today so i'm gonna go and have some fun [img]graemlins/OLA.gif[/img]

jihad
    jihad muhammad

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Mac for me. Been using OS X since 10.1 and it has NEVER crashed. Even if a single program ceases to work, the OS still soldiers on regardless. Never had a virus in many years of Mac use. It doesn't have any of that registry crap that windows has. It boots up mega quick. Don't forget that you have firewire, ethernet etc. all built in which is a big help. If I was you, go out and get ProTools and an Mbox.
    Real Posting - Fair And Balanced

Originally posted by altrrdst8:
    use win2K

ive seen XP destroy and entire HDD of studio work.
    Sorry to hear about this experience. I've never heard of such a thing. But i will strongly urge you or whoever switched back to 2k that it is a well known fact that running audioprograms in win2k is gonna be causing whoever tonnes of headaches. Many issues with irqs etc.

jihad - I agree with most people though i use both platforms and have to say the osx is a huge improvement for macs. Somehow macs had gained a reputation as being more stable than pcs. which theyre not...maybe equal to, but not better.
    Now OSX is truly impressive, but so is a highpower pc in running xp (in my opinion). But what might sway you either way is doing collaborations with people. If all your people work with macs, you should get a mac. Also, if you use logic - get a mac. otherwise save yourself money and get a PC.

Put it this way though, a mac is definetly not a waste of money!

these are just my observations with working in both worlds

[ January 27, 2004, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: martino ]

Originally posted by jihad muhammad:
    thanks for all the input. i just purchased a G4 today so i'm gonna go and have some fun [img]graemlins/OLA.gif[/img]

jihad
    welcome to the club.
    [img]graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Digiman:
    Mac for me. Been using OS X since 10.1 and it has NEVER crashed. Even if a single program ceases to work, the OS still soldiers on regardless. Never had a virus in many years of Mac use. It doesn't have any of that registry crap that windows has. It boots up mega quick. Don't forget that you have firewire, ethernet etc. all built in which is a big help. If I was you, go out and get ProTools and an Mbox.
    Hey everyone. Speaking of crashes. I just bought a mac and my program is G3. Somewhow most of the time when I do an 80 mix on my mac it locks afterwards. Why is that?
    henrydm13@gmail.com/email]
    Facebook: Henry (H'dm)
    H'dm's world of house on Handzonradio
    every Thursday from 12 -2pm (www.handzonradio.com)
    1/2 of the Friday morning house party team on WEAA 88.9 FM
    starting at 7AM (www.weaa.org)
    Co-host of The Audio Infusion on WEAA, and mixes on the 1st sat. of the month, plus from 12-1am.

[quote]Originally posted by Henry 'da Man:
    Hey everyone. Speaking of crashes. I just bought a mac and my program is G3. Somewhow most of the time when I do an 80 mix on my mac it locks afterwards. Why is that?
    Henry, what Os do you use ? Os 9 or OS X ?
    (if you don't know, just click on your desk and in the apple menu, look in "about your computer" - the first line)
    Then tell me what recorder do you use to get your mixes on the HD ?

Originally posted by idancetoomuch:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Henry 'da Man:
    Henry, what Os do you use ? Os 9 or OS X ?
    (if you don't know, just click on your desk and in the apple menu, look in "about your computer" - the first line)
    I use Mac OS 9.1. I don't know what it means. I'm computer illterate
    Co-host of The Audio Infusion on WEAA, and mixes on the 1st sat. of the month, plus from 12-1am.

Hey Henry I suggest that you upgrade to OS9.22 OR panther which is OSX 10.3 Also learn about managing you Extentions & control panels using a control panelcalled Extentions Manager That may helpyou with your crashing or locking Problem. And remeber when all else fails sometimes you just have to restart and or rebuild your desktop. Also a must invest in some good diagnostic software such as
    Drive 10 for OSX and Techtool Pro In OS9 also Disk warrior.
    When you are recording alot of audioor doing film those are usually large fils that take up lots of space and also fragment your hard drive. So you use techtool or drive 10 to optimize & defragment your hard drive its sort of like getting a tune up after alot useage. I hope this information Helps

SORRY FOR THE TYPOS

[quote]Originally posted by Henry 'da Man:
    Originally posted by idancetoomuch:
    I meant : "how do you record your mixes on your HD (Hard Drive) ?"

Originally posted by Boyd Jarvis:
    Hey Henry I suggest that you upgrade to OS9.22 OR panther which is OSX 10.3 Also learn about managing you Extentions & control panels using a control panelcalled Extentions Manager That may helpyou with your crashing or locking Problem. And remeber when all else fails sometimes you just have to restart and or rebuild your desktop. Also a must invest in some good diagnostic software such as
    When you are recording alot of audioor doing film those are usually large fils that take up lots of space and also fragment your hard drive. So you use techtool or drive 10 to optimize & defragment your hard drive its sort of like getting a tune up after alot useage. I hope this information Helps
    Hey Boyd. Woww. Alot of info. Useful though. I was just told to check my control panel and go to energy saver to see when how many minutes of inactivity before my power saves. When I checked, it was at 30 minutes. So I set it to never. I will see if it works. If not, how much do the program u suggest cost?.....Oh yeah thanks for the info. again.

I'm a PC person for the moment.

P4, 1.8GHZ, 1GIG RAM, (2) 80GIG 7,200RPM hard drives.

Running XP

Sonar 3.0 Producers Editon
    Sound Forge 7.0
    Acid Pro 4.0
    How can \"you\" make a paintbrush, if \"you\" don\'t know how to paint?

quote:
    Hey Boyd. Woww. Alot of info. Useful though. I was just told to check my control panel and go to energy saver to see when how many minutes of inactivity before my power saves. When I checked, it was at 30 minutes. So I set it to never. I will see if it works. If not, how much do the program u suggest cost?.....Oh yeah thanks for the info. again. [/QUOTE]Cool. Its a pleasure
    Hey do a search on Google or go to micromat.com for the Diagnostics software. Price I am not sure of. These are things that you will definitly need and you can't afford to sacrifice not having it because it will be your life saver. I dont care what anyone else says you need to have good trouble shooting software. Then also I suggest that you Buy a Mac bible of some sorts at barnes and noble, its a little expensive (about Forty Bucks) but worth it. Feel free to call on me if you need help.

quote:
    quote:
    Hey Boyd. Woww. Alot of info. Useful though. I was just told to check my control panel and go to energy saver to see when how many minutes of inactivity before my power saves. When I checked, it was at 30 minutes. So I set it to never. I will see if it works. If not, how much do the program u suggest cost?.....Oh yeah thanks for the info. again. [/QUOTE]Cool. Its a pleasure
    Hey do a search on Google or go to micromat.com for the Diagnostics software. Price I am not sure of. These are things that you will definitly need and you can't afford to sacrifice not having it because it will be your life saver. I dont care what anyone else says you need to have good trouble shooting software. Then also I suggest that you Buy a Mac bible of some sorts at barnes and noble, its a little expensive (about Forty Bucks) but worth it. Feel free to call on me if you need help.
    [/QUOTE]Just to go off the subject for a minute. Is this the same Boyd Jarvis that co-produced the classic "Somewhow Someway", and the Elements EP came out a few years ago?

yes he's the man [img]hail.gif[/img]
    jihad muhammad

quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    [/QUOTE]Just to go off the subject for a minute. Is this the same Boyd Jarvis that co-produced the classic "Somewhow Someway", and the Elements EP came out a few years ago?
    [/QUOTE]Yep Thats Me in the Fibers
    Peace
    Boyd