Thread: Warm bass sounds

I'm looking for a warm bass sounds, short of having a bassist come over . (which I'm trying to get, but the guy's day job has him...well...never mind)

any suggestions?

trying to get a bass sound like Sting's bass "Brian" I think.

Originally posted by C hristian:
    I'm looking for a warm bass sounds, short of having a bassist come over . (which I'm trying to get, but the guy's day job has him...well...never mind)

any suggestions?

trying to get a bass sound like Sting's bass "Brian" I think.
    bass tip #1 eq first, compress second

Bande-A-Part_NYC Guest

Hey Larry, try starting a detailed new thread on how to get warm bass sounds...

lesysteme Guest

what larry means is:

getting warmth, punch, clarity fatness..whatsver youre looking for should be done with either the actual sound and eq itself rather than relying on compression..as alot of producers do.

compression is such a powerful yet tempting tool to give sounds punch, allow them to sit "in the mix" better and a host of other "good things"

but the major draw back of compression tho is: loss of natualness and warmth.

good compressors and good compression is done when we dont even know its there.

so what hes saying is avoid the easy route of compressing your sounds to get the desired results.

work with either your sound mod, keyboard and board eq settings to get the desired sound, THEN add compression to give it some "life" or more presence.

again tho, one can look at harder sounding tracks that are bassically all compression that have a distincive sound.

so basically turn on you compressor (or you plus in) and basically work with it ALOT (over time).

go through all the settings and get used to hearing it in your mix and how it affects your sounds.

i say this because at first everything will sound GREAT to your untrained ears..you'll be like "ive found the SECRET to mixing!!"

but you havent, youve found sometimes its worse enemy.

Compression allowes the sounds to have more "edge" and you can instantly hear them better it seems...but once youve gotten your ears "used" to hearing that compressed sound, you realize, if done uncorrectly and in an unskilled manner, how "unwarm" and un natural the sound actually is.

so basically, get great sounds with settings, eqs and boards first, then gently "help" those souns with compression second.

this is the process of thought for alot of great engineers, producers and mixers

hope that helps

Thanks. I learned a great deal from this.
    It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have!

An engineer met in the past, shown me the how he would over-process a bass synth sound. He did this by using(if available)Sansamp emulator and/or real tube amp, very little distortion and add the needed amount of compression to kill some of the noise. We really could not tell the difference. Now, we all do the same.
    "I'm so tired of you black people walking round looking evil like that's gonna change something."
    -Dick Gregory.

Originally posted by Silhouette:
    An engineer met in the past, shown me the how he would over-process a bass synth sound. He did this by using(if available)Sansamp emulator and/or real tube amp, very little distortion and add the needed amount of compression to kill some of the noise. We really could not tell the difference. Now, we all do the same.
    i'm confused

if you couldn't tell the difference then why is this something you are doing? maybe i'm not understanding your post properly

Originally posted by Brian:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Silhouette:
    i'm confused

if you couldn't tell the difference then why is this something you are doing? maybe i'm not understanding your post properly
    [/QUOTE]Pardon my bad wording. I was working and typing this at the same time.

I could not tell the difference from a real bass and the synth sound. He(the engineer)had over-processed the sound so well, that Roland(JV 880)synth bass was not too mechanical sounding. A buddy I know that make downtempo type music thought it was the real bass.

[ December 17, 2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Silhouette ]
    "I'm so tired of you black people walking round looking evil like that's gonna change something."
    -Dick Gregory.

I like wiring my keyboard bass through my valve fender amp, gets some nice warm results that way.
    Real Posting - Fair And Balanced