Thread: Reason Version 2.5 Anyone?

DC Metro (NoVA) by Way of the Windy Citaay

I noticed...no one mentioned Reasons. I hear its a fantastic tool for production. I don't know much about it yet....What say you?
    ..."Nobody is gonna know except you how hard you worked or what you accomplished" ~Roctakon

i've used it only cause someone urged me to get it for collaborations. I think its a great sketch pad, but don't like the way the sequencer part is laid out too much, so i hardly ever use it.
    It's a great concept though! I think when the technology gets better Reason will be a very serious piece of equipment. Some ppl swear by it already.

i think its great for people who are interested in designing their own sounds ... it's not something that gives you what you want immediately.. you have to be willing to read the manual and work (lots of routing) to get the sound you want out of it

i love to design sounds so i'm a big fan of it .. particularly 2.5 which added some nice new devices

[ December 24, 2003, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Brian ]

i love it! have been a beta-tester from version 1 upwards........ so i've "grown up" with reason...

for starters i love the fact that it is modelled after a hardware-rack, so the knowledge you already have can be applied here, and the other way around: when you want to use hardware you already know the basics of it, routing, patching etc.

for me the biggest "reason" to use it is: total recall.....this combined with an amazing sketchpad, especially when you buy or download the quality "refills" that are available give you thousands of good sounds and samples to use, and of course you can create your own with the samplers and synths inside...

reason 2.5 to me is essential because it has the very nice RV7000 reverb-module which is top-class, and the scream4 module which i mainly use for tape and tube compression, and sometimes bit-reduction (to get the nice 12bit SP1200 sound) ... of course the cabinet emulator inside is very usefull on f.e. live bass and fender sounds...

some people comment on it's sound, imho this typical reason-sound only appears when people only use preset samples and patches from the default factory soundbank..you start recognising them........ so be creative with your programming....if you're still not satisfied you can use ReWire to connect Reason with a rewire compatible program like Ableton live or Cubase/Nuendo..... this gives you the possibility of adding VST and directX plugins and softsynths, audio recording and midi-out....... in other words: unlimited possibilities...

as a last: the program is stable and solid as hell...it never crashed on me, *never*, not even during beta-tests..i never encountered this quality in software..and it's also very easy on the processor....

you can say i'm a reason fan ;)

Olaf
    they used to laugh at me
    but i saw the future

Originally posted by martino:
    i've used it only cause someone urged me to get it for collaborations. I think its a great sketch pad, but don't like the way the sequencer part is laid out too much, so i hardly ever use it.
    It's a great concept though! I think when the technology gets better Reason will be a very serious piece of equipment. Some ppl swear by it already.
    That's what I hear as well..."ppl swear by it"
    ..."Nobody is gonna know except you how hard you worked or what you accomplished" ~Roctakon

Originally posted by Brian:
    i think its great for people who are interested in designing their own sounds ... it's not something that gives you what you want immediately.. you have to be willing to read the manual and work (lots of routing) to get the sound you want out of it

i love to design sounds so i'm a big fan of it .. particularly 2.5 which added some nice new devices
    What's the damage on the software? or do you have a link where I can download it?

Thanks

Originally posted by O'love:
    i love it! have been a beta-tester from version 1 upwards........ so i've "grown up" with reason...

as a last: the program is stable and solid as hell...it never crashed on me, *never*, not even during beta-tests..i never encountered this quality in software..and it's also very easy on the processor....

Olaf
    WoW!! That's House!! [img]graemlins/grinyes.gif[/img] Thanks Olaf! That was my next question...how solid is the software and would I have to worry about it crashing all the time.

I'm obviously a beginner and some of the terms are a bit foregin but I do have 25 plus years (djing) under my belt and I'm a network engineer so..it should not be a problem to grasp.

I never used it yet, but some friends of mine can get a very tight sound from it. i might give it a try next week.

Originally posted by Dj Marv:
    quote:

Olaf
    WoW!! That's House!! [img]graemlins/grinyes.gif[/img] Thanks Olaf! That was my next question...how solid is the software and would I have to worry about it crashing all the time.

I'm obviously a beginner and some of the terms are a bit foregin but I do have 25 plus years (djing) under my belt and I'm a network engineer so..it should not be a problem to grasp.
    [/QUOTE]it is the most solid music software i've ever used. i've never had a crash and i've been using it since the week 1.0 came out! seriously ... being "solid" is one of the things it's notorious for

if you don't have any experience engineering or making music it might be a bit difficult to get your head around initially ... you need to have patience and don't expect to be ruling the world with it in less than a year. there is a good book to read in addition to the manual called "The Fast Guide To Reason" that can help you with some of the more advanced concepts and techniques.

(edit: i just realized that was directed at olaf .. sorry to jump in on your convo olaf [img]smile.gif[/img] )

[ December 24, 2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Brian ]

quote:

What's the damage on the software? or do you have a link where I can download it?

Thanks
    [/QUOTE]It costs $300 at most major music stores (Guitar Center, etc.)

You can also try a demo from www.propellerheads.se

Originally posted by martino:
    if you don't like the sequencer you can "Rewire" Reason to most of the major sequencer packages out there and do your sequencing there .. (Cubase, Logic, etc)

here's information on Rewire and how it works...

http://www.propellerheads.se/technol...on=displaymain

If there is any one who has a copy of the orkester cd... HIT ME IMMEDIATELY !!!

I need a copy really bad !

thanx alot !

Originally posted by DJ George Bates:
    If there is any one who has a copy of the orkester cd... HIT ME IMMEDIATELY !!!

I need a copy really bad !

thanx alot !
    Relax. I've got it. We just need to hook up, and I've been busy. Hopefully, in the next couple days......JMJ
    THE DHP KING OF EDITS

JMJ - Off The Deep End - Now on DHP Radio - Friday 3pm-5pm EST - http://dhpradio.com/jmj-off-the-deep-end.html
    Facebook me: facebook.com/kingofedits
    Podomatic me: http://jmjeditking.podomatic.com/
    Soundcloud me: http://soundcloud.com/jmj-edits

2007 & 2010 Deep House Fantasy Football Champion
    2011 & 2012 back-to-back DHP Fantasy Baseball Champion

Can somebody please hook me up with Reason 2.5 ??
    I've got the serials, but no software.

I've been using Reason for about a year and I love it. DJ Keith Porter got me hooked. It is really a great studio solution for the poor man.

Like O'love said, the trick to making reason work for you is downloading new patches and sounds.

Reason is good for the cration of sounds, but it is terrible for mixing and sequencing. I create my stuff in reason and mix it in sonar 2.0 or pro tools.

The latest version offers rewire support, so there is no need to spend all that time exporting every sequencer track and then importing into Pro tools or something else to mix.

Reason also works well with Sonar 2.0

for starters i love the fact that it is modelled after a hardware-rack, so the knowledge you already have can be applied here, and the other way around: when you want to use hardware you already know the basics of it, routing, patching etc.

for me the biggest "reason" to use it is: total recall.....this combined with an amazing sketchpad, especially when you buy or download the quality "refills" that are available give you thousands of good sounds and samples to use, and of course you can create your own with the samplers and synths inside...

reason 2.5 to me is essential because it has the very nice RV7000 reverb-module which is top-class, and the scream4 module which i mainly use for tape and tube compression, and sometimes bit-reduction (to get the nice 12bit SP1200 sound) ... of course the cabinet emulator inside is very usefull on f.e. live bass and fender sounds...

some people comment on it's sound, imho this typical reason-sound only appears when people only use preset samples and patches from the default factory soundbank..you start recognising them........ so be creative with your programming....if you're still not satisfied you can use ReWire to connect Reason with a rewire compatible program like Ableton live or Cubase/Nuendo..... this gives you the possibility of adding VST and directX plugins and softsynths, audio recording and midi-out....... in other words: unlimited possibilities...

Olaf
    Olaf, you said it all! Reason is a great piece of software. The only thing that I don't like is the fact that long sample files have to be started at the beginning of the file in order for that particular file to be heard (i.e. a long vocal part). And it will be near perfection once we have the ability to record directly in Reason.

George Jackson

[ December 27, 2003, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Geo Jack ]
    *****************************<br /><a href=\"http://www.myspace.com/djgeorgej\" target=\"_blank\">www.myspace.com/djgeorgej</a>

Bold Soul Guest

Man, you all have to take this software sharing stuff off board. It gets sites shut down all the time.

http://www.bsa.org

yeah for real .. not to mention Propellerheads will blacklist you if they find out you've been sharing your Reason serial # and you'll never be able to upgrade or even buy and register another Propellerheads product in your own name again.

quote:
    quote:

Olaf

[/QUOTE]it is the most solid music software i've ever used. i've never had a crash and i've been using it since the week 1.0 came out! seriously ... being "solid" is one of the things it's notorious for

if you don't have any experience engineering or making music it might be a bit difficult to get your head around initially ... you need to have patience and don't expect to be ruling the world with it in less than a year. there is a good book to read in addition to the manual called "The Fast Guide To Reason" that can help you with some of the more advanced concepts and techniques.

(edit: i just realized that was directed at olaf .. sorry to jump in on your convo olaf [img]smile.gif[/img] )
    [/QUOTE]Hey..No Problem....I'm sure Olaf will not mind! I'll be looking for that book in the near future. Maybe, I can get one of my esteemed collegues to share a copy of 2.5....that would be music to my ears!! [img]biggrinangel.gif[/img] [img]hail.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Danny Gardner:
    Man, you all have to take this software sharing stuff off board. It gets sites shut down all the time.

http://www.bsa.org
    Uh Oh!! I just read that post! I'm sure you're probably right Danny!! That should be on the DL!!

Thanks,

Marv

i assume y'all know you can download a demo for both mac and windows OS'es from www.propellerheads.se website..

the price is very right too for this software package..and makes you sleep easy ;)

Olaf
    they used to laugh at me
    but i saw the future

Bold Soul Guest

Propellerhead Software deserves your $299.00 for Reason. Don't cheat them - they make incredibly valuable, next level software and continue to upgrade and expand it into the future.

I paid only 120 $ for version 1. It was meant to try, it's my first experience of midi music so I didn't engaged too much money.

But i must say that reason is very easy for a young tech like me. It cost me about ten hours to get into it, and now I can do a track easily. Maybe the creativity will expand new horizons, but one CPU, one keyboard and Reason 1 is fine for beginners IMO.
    And yeah it's stable !