"High Society", by Norma jean Wright(1978)

• July 15, 2017 at 12:27 PM #4891
    Profile photo of Mike BarnesMike Barnes
    Participant

The plate, “High Society”, by Norma Jean Wright was extremely popular on the New York city dance music circuit and on regular rotation on BLS in 1978 thru the early 80’s, “High Society”, Was produced by Bernard Edwards/Rip and his man Nile Rogers, Featuring, Luther Vandross on background vocals too, On the low, Norma Jean Wright and the other two young ladies from Chic(Who’s names i cannot remember right about now/LOL), Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers used to

All hang at numerous dance music spots in New York city like, Bentley’s, Justines, Levitcus, Pippins, Pegasus, The Rennasance(Jamaica, Queens spot), Etc, During the late 70’s to mid 80’s, Norma Jean Wright was the lead vocalist for most of Chic’s earlier productions during the mid/late 70’s(Facts).

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

“High Society”, by Norma jean Wright(1978)

July 19, 2017 at 11:50 AM #4905
    Profile photo of FletchFletch
    Participant

This coming October, Bernard Edwards would’ve have been 65! The influences of that man’s bass (John Deacon of Queen, John Taylor, Gene Perez of MAW, Stuart Zender of Jamiroquai, Jamero, who plays with Bruno Mars, too many etc’s). This dude produced the Duran Duran Bond joint “A View to a Kill,” among many others.

These cats, Nile and ‘Nard, were automatically put into the disco section by their label because they were black! (they wanted to play rock!). All they did was influence a bunch of pop, rock and hip hop cats, anyway (Duran Duran, INXS, Wham, Blondie, Madonna, Power Station, Sugarhill, etc). But that racial pigeonholing was one of the main reasons for the formation of the Black Rock Coalition! (in other words, “Brothas’ Right To Rock!)

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Fletch.
    July 19, 2017 at 2:42 PM #4907
    Participant

Fletch, You are most definitely correct when you stated Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards heavy influences on the music circuit during the 70’s and 80’s, My man , Fletch, Groups like Change, Queen, BB&Q Band, TS Monk, GQ, Etc, Were also heavily influenced by Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers during

The 80’s(Facts), Fletch, Atlantic Records did not know how to promote Chic during the late 70’s/early 80’s(Probably because of Clive Davis’s ties with Aretha Franklin, My man/LOL).

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

July 31, 2017 at 9:24 AM #4972
    Profile photo of BigscoreBigscore
    Participant

Mike….

The other 2 Chic ladies are Alpha Anderson and Luci Martin (sexy)

Bernard Edwards is my fav bass player hands down.

Hearing We are and Nile groove together is nothing short of flawless. “My Forbidden Lover ” is a good example of their grooving together.

Norma Jean sang lead (solo) on “Everybody Dance” after that she landed a solo contract which prevented her from singing with Chic and was replaced by Luci and Alpha.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Bigscore.
    July 31, 2017 at 9:41 AM #4976
    Profile photo of BigscoreBigscore
    Participant

July 31, 2017 at 1:02 PM #4986
    Participant

Bigscore, Good lookin regards to the names of the two young ladies who were down with Chic during the late 70’s/early 80’s, My man, Also, Bernard Edwards used to hang at hiphop throwdowns at Valley Park near Co-op city and Edenwald Projects in the North Bronx during the late 70’s too, So, Bernard Edwards most definitley knew what was going on, On the hiphop circuit in the Bronx, Which was probably the reason why, Nile Rodgers and

Bernard Edwards went mad hard at Sylvia and Joe Robinson in regards to publishing royalties for bitin the bassline to, ‘Good times”, For the Suagarhill gang to make, “Rapper’s Delight”, In July/August of 1979, My man/LOL.

Much respect
    Mike Barnes

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.