Proper Cafe in Queens closing…….

• October 2, 2017 at 12:58 PM #5224
    Profile photo of FletchFletch
    Participant

…….partied a lot, as well as karaokied and played up in there!

Gonna be well-missed!

October 2, 2017 at 2:19 PM #5233
    Profile photo of Mike BarnesMike Barnes
    Participant

Fletch, Were you in Manhattan Proper(Very close to Andrew Jackson HS on Linden Blvd and Francis Lewis Blvd in Cambria Heights,Queens), When, Anthoney Mason and his crew from Springfield Gardens used to Frequent the spot during the 90’s, My Man/LOL, Fletch, The Dow Twins had throwdowns at Manhattan Proper since the mid 80’s, Harold Dow is still promoting throwdowns

In New York city and all-over the country(Much respect to the memory of Norman Dow/Rip), Ifact, From what i understand, Harold Dow is the only black party promoter from the 70’s, Who is still promoting throwdowns in New York city(Exhibit A:Big name party promoters from the 70’s, Who’s names were on mad flyers for promoting throwdowns in New York city, During the 70’s and 80’s, Like,

M.Morton Hall, The Dow Twins, Gene Pendergrass, Mike Stone/Rip, Elmo The Magic Christian, The Best of Friends(Von Harper’s crew, Who were the owners of, “Leviticus”, On 27thst and 7thave in Manhatan), Etc, Fletch, The Dow Twins first throwdown took place at Rochdale Center in Jamaica,Queens in 1972 and the Dow Twins were one of the very first cats to have Sadie Hawkins/Chocolate

Singles throwdowns in New York city during the mid 70’s thru the 80’s(Exhibit A;Justines with Reggie Wells mixing, The Intrepid on 45thst and The Westside Highway, The Collibron/The Second Floor/LOL, On 27thst and 5thave in Manhattan, Etc, During the mid 70’s thru the 80’s).

Much respect
    Mike Barnes

October 12, 2017 at 10:38 AM #5256
    Participant

The last night at Manhattan Proper is set for October 26th(Thursday from 6:00pm-11:00pm), Featuring, Dj Kevin, Manhhatan Proper put in 32 years of service on the Queens dance music circuit going back to 1985(On the low, Manhattan Proper was open longer than Bentley’s, Which had 20 years of service on the New York city dance music circuit going back to 1980-2000).

Much respect
    Mike Barnes

October 14, 2017 at 2:43 AM #5260
    Profile photo of FletchFletch
    Participant

I gotta get out there before it closes. Trying to make a Monday night open mic! Sat in with the band, before, and they can jam! Love that spot, even though ‘damn, that shit’s in the boondocks, even by car!’ (LOL!)

October 14, 2017 at 12:12 PM #5266
    Participant

Fletch, You’re traveling from the Bronx to Queens, Yeah, That shit is the, “Boondocks”, Unless you take the Cross Island expressway from the Bronx to the Whitestone Bridge on to Queens all the way to the Laurelton Parkway to Cambria Heights(Exhibit A:If my memory serves me correctly, My man/LOL), And depending on where your located in the Bronx(Exhibit B:North,South, East,West), That shit is still, “The Boondocks”, My man(Facts/LOL).

Much respect
    Mike Barnes

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.