• November 3, 2017 at 10:06 PM #5353
    Profile photo of BigscoreBigscore
    Participant

Love this song especially the extended mix version

Jody was Fineeeeeee!

November 4, 2017 at 12:48 PM #5355
    Profile photo of Mike BarnesMike Barnes
    Participant

Bigscore, I had the opportunity to checkout Shalamar twice(Exhibit A:At the Garden in 1980 and at Radio City in 1981), Which was the same day those two cats down with the Black Liberation army, “Wetup”, The two NYPD officers in St.Alban’s,Queens, A block from LL’s Grandmother’s rest on illion Ave in St.Alban’s,Queens in 1981, My man), Bigscore, If i remember correctly, Leon Slyvers remixed, “Right in the pocket”, In 1980(Money/Leon Sylvers was not known for remixing to many

Plates in his career in music, My man/LOL), Bigscore, Jody Watley has stated that Michael Jackson could have, “Bagged her”, During the late 70’s/early 80’s(Before Andre Cymone, Who was down with Prince during the late 70’s/early 80’s and Leon Sylvers, Who has a daughter via Jody Watley during the 80’s too, My man, Bigscore, The plate, “Friend’s”, by Jody Watley, Featuring, Eric B and Rakim in 1989 was produced by Andre Cymone and remixed by Hank Shocklee, Eric Sadler and

Paul Shabazz, And i heard Jody Watley state live on MTV raps with Fab Five Freddy, That, Rakim was her favorite MC(Joey Watley saying the word, “MC”, Threw me more than Rakim being Jody Watley’s favorite MC, My man/LOL, Bigscore, For the lyrical god to bless Jody Watley with afew rhymes on a plate was un-heard of during the 80’s(Eric B and Rakim did not do any collaborations with nobody during the 80’s and KRS wanted to put down Rakim on the, “Stop the violence”, Plate in

1989, But, KRS did not want to put Eric B and Rakim down on a positive platelike, “Stot he violence”, That would inspire the community in an uplifting way, When, Eric B and Rakim were runnin with 50 Cent(Stickup kid 50 cent from Fort Green projects in Brooklyn), Supreme Magnetic(Stickup kid from Fort Green), Killa Ben,

Horse, Dog, AKA, The Brooklyn Zoo/Paid in full stickup kid crew that featured, Freddy Foxx to during the 80’s and Eric B was down with the Paid in full stickup kid crew and KRS most definitely knew of that by Eric B being crew with Scotti(Scott La-Rock during the mid 80’s, My man).

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

“Friends”, By Jody Watley, Featuring, Eric B and Rakim(1989)

November 7, 2017 at 12:20 AM #5356
    Profile photo of Mike JohnsonMike Johnson
    Participant

I still play “In The Socket” to this day. I had a thing for Jody Watley back in the day, in fact, I once tried to get my mack on while in line to get into an after-party. It was chilly outside, and there was this young lady who didn’t have on a jacket (I didn’t know the young lady, just happened to be in line next to her) – I ask her if she wants my jacket until we get inside, of course she says “yes” – then I proceeded to try to lay it on her – my opening line was, “you know, you a look a little like Jody Watley” – she was like, “Jody is bangin'” and I could tell she enjoyed the compliment. I got the young lady’s name, but when she got inside the party, she thanked me for letting her wear my jacket (for about 20 minutes or so), but then brushed me off because she was there to hook up with friends inside. Hey, I was about 21 at the time, but all I had to say was “you look a little like Jody Watley” and I could kind of get the conversation started. Jody was a fashion icon before she even knew it.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Mike Johnson.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Mike Johnson.
    November 7, 2017 at 9:50 AM #5363
    Participant

Mike Johnson, Very nice story, Though, You should have, “Pushed up”, On the young ladies friends too(Assuming the young ladies friends were young ladies/LOL), Mike, Jody Watley’s plate, “Off the hook”, Masters at work remix from 1997, Was nice too, My man.

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

“Off the hook”, By Jody Watley(Masters at work remix/1997)

November 7, 2017 at 12:59 PM #5364
    Profile photo of FletchFletch
    Participant

“KRS did not want to put Eric B and Rakim down on a positive platelike, “Stot he violence”, That would inspire the community in an uplifting way, When, Eric B and Rakim were runnin with 50 Cent(Stickup kid 50 cent from Fort Green projects in Brooklyn), Supreme Magnetic(Stickup kid from Fort Green), Killa Ben,

Horse, Dog, AKA, The Brooklyn Zoo/Paid in full stickup kid crew that featured, Freddy Foxx to during the 80’s and Eric B was down with the Paid in full stickup kid crew and KRS most definitely knew of that by Eric B being crew with Scotti(Scott La-Rock during the mid 80’s, My man). ”

Interesting that KRS wanted to keep the Stop The Violence video positive. At the same time, him bum-rushing PM Dawn onstage (Dudes not known for being hardcore) doesn’t do well for his own rep……!

November 7, 2017 at 4:06 PM #5367
    Participant

Fletch, KRS has stated many times that he made an tremendouslyb ad decision by, “Movin on”, Prince B and his PM Dawn crew at the Sound Factory in Manhattan in 1992(Exhibit A:Two of PM Dawn’s female dancers were also thrown off the stage by KRS and his crew which included), Just-Ice(More on him later in this thread, My man/LOL),

Latifah(Yeah,Queen Latifah was wildin that night onstage too with KRS, My man/LOL), Latifah brought her Flava Unit crew with her, Along with Treach from Naughty by Nature, Etc, My man/Facts), Fletch, KRS knew the visual of the video would not be authentic with criminally laden cats or cats who associated with criminally laden cats in it

(Exhibit B:Self Destruction”, Video), So, To place Eric B and Rakim in the video for, “Self Destruction”, or have Eric B and Rakim be involved with the, “Self Destruction”, Project, Would be mad hypercritical on KS’ part to have a project embracing unity and peace in the community, Yet, Have cats who embrace runnin with criminals in the community,

Though/LOL, Jus-Ice used to be a stickup kid in Brooklyn(Fort Greene), And the Bronx during the 70’s,80’s(Before the, “Self Destruction”, Project came about in 1989, My man/LOL), and Delight(Stet), Used to run with Decepticons in Brooklyn during the mid/late 80’s(Again, Before the, “Stop the Violence/Self Destruction”, Movement and project

Came about in 1989/LOL), So, KRS and Ann Carli had to sought out cats who either had no ties to runnin with criminal cats or cats who had ties to criminal cats, But, Were not runnin with criminal cats for the, “Stop the Violence/Self Destruction”, Project to come about and look true to the community, My man, Fletch, KRS’s

Reputation took a very big fall after the PM Dawn incident in 1992 in the community, Yet, KRS’s rep increased in the streets for the PM Dawn incident, Because you will not find one cat who was there that night at the Sound Factory in

Manhattan in 1992, Who will state that KRS was wrong in his actions to, “Move on”, PM Dawn like that, My man(Facts), My favorite plate by Jody Watley is, “Everything”, Produced by Andre Cymone in 1989.

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

Dres from Black Sheep speaking on KRS vs PM Dawn(2009)

“Everything”, By Jody Watley(1989)

November 10, 2017 at 11:30 AM #5369
    Participant

Jody Watley, Summerstage, 2003, with Jocelyn Brown and Roy Ayers!

I found out how much vocal chops Jody had! Girl was scattin’, and sangin’ her ass off! I learned, right there, she wasn’t just a pretty face for Shalamar!

November 13, 2017 at 4:51 PM #5374
    Participant

Fletch, I always felt that Jody Watley was an average singer, Howard Hewitt was the voice for Shalamar during the late 70’s to mid 80’s), Also, Wasn’t that summerstage performance at Central park featuring, Roy Ayers, Jocelyn Brown and Jody Watley in 2000, Because the 2003 summerstage concert featured, Chaka Khan(I was not there for the 2000 summerstage performance, Though, I was there for the 2002 summerstage performance, Which included an 24 hour throwdown

At the Shelter right after the concert at Central park and i was at the Shelter from 8:45pm Saturday night to 3:00pm Sunday afternoon and that shit was still rockin mad Lovely, My man(Facts/LOL), Also, Jody Watley was the first to build on the New Edition vs Guy static during the summer of 1989 on an interview on BLS and Jody Watley stated that she would not perform with Guy or New Edition, Though, Jody Watley, Guy and New Edition were all on the MCA label during the 80’s(Facts).

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

November 20, 2017 at 12:17 PM #5388
    Participant

Mike,

I think you are right! I was at both Summerstages. I believe the Jody Watley/Roy Ayers/Jocelyn Brown show was 2002 (or maybe it was 2000! senior citizen moment! LOL!) (Jocelyn Brown can HOLLA….!!!!!!!), while the Chaka show was in 2003 (shit was like 110 degrees and mad humid! Chaka was definitely one of THE best shows I’ve ever been too!). That Chaka show introduced Raul Midon, who got cut off in the middle of ‘Circa de Mi’ (that was a foul move by the show’s producers!). That show was also around the same time Barry White passed. I remember Timmy doing a Barry White tribute!

November 20, 2017 at 4:38 PM #5389
    Participant

Fletch, Fletch, You are right in regards to the 2003 Summerstage performance featuring, Chaka Khan being on the day that Barry White passed away on July 4th of 2003, My man, Fletch, Chaka Khan’s performance at Central park in 2003 was a lot better than the performance at the Garage in 1983(Chaka Khan was zooted, Though, Not that

Much for the world to see, My man/LOL), Fletch, The summerstage shows producers were doing foul shit most of the day(Exhibit A:Cats sound was not up to par and I was sitting outside the park by Remsen field on 72ndst and 5thave and Jazzy Jeff and Kenny Dope were building with one-another right infront of me and Jazzy Jeff stated that the

Sound was not up to par and cats(Summerstage personell), Were not letting cats rock the crowd timewise(Exhibit B:Jeff stated that very few cats had the opportunity to mix for a certain amount of time, Before cats were asked to Stop mixing and it was the summerstage personell’s fault for the very faulty sound and lack of time restraints for the

Dj’s mixing that day including Timmy Regisford, Who was asked to lessen his time to rock by the summerstage personell too, My man(Facts), Fletch, The 2000 Sumerstage performance with Roy Ayers, Jody Watley and Jocelyn Brown was the week after the oldschool hiphop performance at Central Park(Summerstage event), Featuring,

Hollywood, Kool Herc, Eddie Chebba, Lovebug Starski, Furious 5, Kurtis Blow, Whodini, Run-DMC, Treacherous 3, Cold Crush 4, Fantastic 5, Crash Crew, Funky 4, Doug Fresh, Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, KRS-one, Chuck-D and Flav, Etc, Fletch, All of those cats did not perform(It would have been mad time restraints, My man/Facts/LOL), Though, If

Summerstage cats truley would have thought it out, This could have turned into a extremely big throwdown outside the summerstage area, Because the crowd and the young ladies in attendance outside the summerstage area was amped up for a throwdown that day and if Summerstage cats would have said, Let’s let cats rock for a few hours un-

Interrupted, Shit, That event would have been just like the old park throwdowns used to be during the 70’s Without the, “Pap,Pap,Pap”, My man(Facts/LOL).

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.