Thinking about upgrading…

• December 28, 2015 at 8:05 PM #202
    Profile photo of Sean HaleySean Haley
    Participant

I’m currently working on a PC ( yeah, I know…) and I’m thinking of buying a new one and revamping my set up. Any suggestions as to what’s a good box to purchase, without having to add a lot of hardware? I’m not loyal to any particular brand, I’ve had a Dell, and an HP in the past. I just want something I can work on. I’m currently running Reason, Ableton, and StudioOne.
    ( for the record, there’s nothing wrong with my set-up now, but I’m trying to build a better work space, and I think a new box would put me in the right frame of mind…)

December 29, 2015 at 1:37 AM #212

Any PC you buy these days should be powerful enough to handle those programs. What is your concern?

December 31, 2015 at 9:43 AM #267
    Participant

@ Timmy: Not so much ‘concerns’, but the PC I have has a lot of stuff on it and rather than clean it out, I think it’d be easier to start with a new PC. I’ve been told it’s best to only install software on the PC but to save work to an External. In the past I’d saved everything directly to the PC, and at times it has caused latency issues ( especially in Reason).

January 2, 2016 at 9:52 AM #309

I think these days the new computers are powerful enough and the hard drives are big enough, that you don’t need an external.

February 8, 2016 at 4:54 AM #812
    Profile photo of Marshall JeffersonMarshall Jefferson
    Participant

Why not just buy one or two new huge hard drives, making one an SSD? Do a fresh Windows install on one, then copy everything over.

The processors today are not much faster than they were 5 years ago. The focus now is on making them more energy efficient.

June 9, 2016 at 2:07 PM #2237
    Profile photo of elvin telvin t
    Participant

Hey Sean – latency is usually unavoidable with external things like midi controllers etc. You should be able to decrease the latency to almost nonexistent but it’ll never be 0.

That said – if you want to define your overall goal a little more it would be helpful in my ability to offer solutions. If a clean start is all you want – any modern PC w/ an i7, 16GB ram and SSD hard-drive for your system drive w/ say 2 other HDs for your programs and samples will outperform mostly anything. PCs have caught up to Macs in terms of price & power so switching from one to the other offers little aside from the frustration of learning a new system.

If simply the foot print of a tower is annoying you – there are plenty of “gaming” laptops you could look at and then reduce their cost by getting a less powerful graphics card as you dont need insane graphics for music creation software.

November 11, 2016 at 11:16 AM #3358
    Participant

Thanks everybody !!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.