What crew was the first hiphop band(Stet or Newcleus).

• July 12, 2017 at 10:17 AM #4870
    Profile photo of Mike BarnesMike Barnes
    Participant

Daddy-O from Stet has many times stated that Stet was the very first hiphop band forming in 1981(Though, Making It’s first plate in 1986 called, “Go Stetsa”, On Tommy Boy records), Which was the anthem for Brooklyn Stickup kids to, “Sting cats Ice”,(Gold chains), At the, Latin Quarters in Manhattan during the mid/late 80’s), While, Newcleus was

Formed in 1979 under the name Newcleus(Which came after the name Jam-on Productions in 1977 in Brooklyn), Cosmo-D was a member of the old deephousepage board years ago(As well as a much respected cat on the oldschoolhiphop board years ago too), and Cosmo-D and Daddy-O go way back to the Brooklyn block throwdowns

Days during the 70’s too, Cosmo always gets a laugh when I bring-up that Daddy-O states that Stet as the very first hiphop band in 1981/LOL, Maybe, Cosmo-D will see this thread and build for a few(Facts).

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

“Jam on it”, by Newcleus (1984)

“Go Stetsa’, Stetesonic(1986/Tuck yea chains in/LOL).

July 12, 2017 at 7:49 PM #4875
    Profile photo of FletchFletch
    Participant

Sugarhill, with Dough Wimbush, Keith LeBlanc and Skip McDonald…….! OK, they never “put out a plate” for themselves…..!

And the Fatback Band was considered R&B, and not fully hip hop, despite King Tim III having an impact on the hip hop genre…..!

July 13, 2017 at 9:08 AM #4876
    Participant

Fletch, Duke Bootee, Doug Winbush, Keith LaBlanc ,Skip McDonald and Jiggs Chase(Who was the most talented cat in the Sugarhill crew crew via Jiggs Chase being the arranger,Producer,Musician, Composer, Writer), Etc, For the Sugarhill house band that all of those cats that I mentioned earlier were apart of during the late 70’s/mid 80’s),

Fletch, The Sugarhill House band were not a hiphop crew like Stet and Newcleus were(All of cats down with the Sugarhill house band were veteran trained musicians, My man), Also, Mad cats including myself, Had never heard of King Tim, When, “King Tim The Third”, Came out in June of 1979(I thought, “King Tim”, Was a cat down with the

Fatback band, Who just picked up the mic and started rhyming on a plate with , “King Tim The Third”, In 1979, My man/LOL), Fletch, The Fatback band were an R/B crew(You stated the Fatback Band were, “Considered”, An, R/B Crew earlier and not fully hiphop), Fletch, When was the Fatback Band looked upon as, “Hiphop”,After, “King Tim

The third”, Who comes from Colonial Projects(155thst and 8thave in Harlem, Across the street from the Rucker), Also, Fletch, What musical genre was The Fatback Band categorized under, If the Fatback were considered R/B, My man, Fletch, I seen King Tim perform with the Fatback band, Rick James and Skyy at Avery Fisher hall in Manhattan

On May of 1980 and King Tim bit most of Hollywood’s rhymes and cadence during the whole plate of, “King Tim the Third”, My man(Facts/LOL), Fletch, Frankie Crocker was the first cat to run, King Tim the Third”, In June of 1979,

Which I stated before, Mad cats thought, “King Tim”, was a cat down with Fatback who grabbed the mic and started rhyming on the plate, “King Tim The Third”, and not being an actual MC from Harlem in 1979, My man(Facts)Also, The very reason why, “King Tim The Third’, Never received the notoriety and publicity that, “Rapper’s Delight”,

Received In August of 1979 in New York city, Was, Again, Cats knew the Fatback Band as an R/B crew who made a plate with a cat rhyming on it(“King Tim The Third”), Regardless of cats being up on King Tim or not(Which many cats were not in 1979), My man(Facts), While the Sugarhill gang were a put together crew with 2 cats from New Jersey

and Hank from the Bronx(Who was the manager of the Cold Crush 4 in 1979), Along with Slyvia and Joe Robinson, “Lacin”, Frankie Crocker’s pockets to run, “Rapper’s Delight”, On BLS in August of 1979 thru 1980, Mad lovely, My man(Facts).

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

July 13, 2017 at 9:22 AM #4877
    Participant

Fletch, Brooklyn Stickup kids like, 50 Cent(The Original 50 cent from Fort Green Projects), Killa Ben(Fort Green Projects), Supreme Magnetic(Fort Green Projects), Were notorious for, “Stingin”, Cats off of Red Alert, Teddy Ted or

Special K(Awesome 2), Runnin, “Go Stetsa”, At the Latin Quarters during the mid to late 80’s, My man(Facts/LOL), Fletch, Here’s a clip of Paradise(X-Clan), Building about the Latin Quarters during the mid to late 80’s, Also, Eric B and Freddy Foxx were down with the Brooklyn Zoo(Mad Ferocious Brooklyn Stickup kids)My man.

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

The History of the Latin Quarters(Paradise-XL/2012)

July 14, 2017 at 5:45 AM #4880
    Participant

Whether or not this or they were the first, this live joint is fiyaaaaah, nevertheless….!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Fletch.
    July 14, 2017 at 9:22 AM #4883
    Participant

Fletch, All of those rhymes are Hollywood’s that King Tim is spittin(Money is sportin those cazels too, My man/LOL), Fletch, I wish my man Troy(Oldschoolhiphop.com), Had the opportunity to interview King Tim(Troy and

King Tim could not get their schedules to connect to make the interview happen years ago, Since very few cats know anything about King Tim including myself, My man), Fletch, King Tim did the same rhymes when he performed at

Avery Fisher Hall in May of 1980(Money was rockin that night, Though, with Hollywood’s rhymes, My man/Facts/LOL).

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

July 14, 2017 at 1:56 PM #4886
    Participant

A side note….Daddy O should have done more joints with Vernon Reid/Living Colour, in addition to ‘Funny Vibe’! That was a tight record, and tight video…..!

July 14, 2017 at 4:16 PM #4889
    Participant

Fletch, Living Colour made a plate called, “Elvis is dead”, In 1990, That, Burt(Club 88), Used to demo at 88 during the early 90’s, My man(Facts), “Elvis is dead”, Was remixed by Tony Humphries in 1990, Also, Fletch, Daddy-O should

Have done more plates with Third World in regards to the plate, “Forbidden Love”, By Third World and Daddy-O,
    Which was co-produced by Daddy-O and Third World in 1989.

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

“Elvis is dead”, By living Colour(1990)

“Forbidden Love”, By Third World(1989)

July 18, 2017 at 3:01 PM #4900
    Participant

Fletch, None music related/LOL, Delight’s(Stet), Older brother by the name of Timmy(Snake)Wright was an Honorable mention All-PSAL cat at Bayside HS in Queens in 1977(“Snake”, Was mad nice with his on the Queens HS and Summer league circuit during the 70’s, My man/Facts), Fletch, Delight was nice in ball Too(Though, Not like his older brother, “Snake”, My man/LOL), Delight was mad crew with Scottie(Scott LaRock), Via, Delight and Scottie

Playing on the New York city summer league circuit during the early/mid 80’s(Scottie used to play around Delight’s way at Ajax park in Jamaica,Queens and Delight used to play at Highbridge Projects in the Parkchester section of the Bronx during the early/mid 80’s, My man).

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.